Big boot Problem on Windows Developer Preview after install HP HD 3110 CD Software from Arcsoft.

Question

• Hi,I would like to share this bug that I found,there is a big issue that makes Windows Developer Preview go to a black boot screen,and then it just restart the machine,making the same thing again and again,and never let me go into the logon screen again.

This happens right after install the HP HD 3110 software called "Arcsoft Webcam Companion and Magic-I" bundle that comes on the HP HD 3110 web camera  Installation CD,let me clarify that Windows Developer Preview recognize and install the HP HD 3110 drivers correctly rigth after conect the USB cable to my computer front USB port,but the problems seems to be the software that cames with the web camera.

I know that this sounds like some kind of software incompatibility,but the main and big problem here,its that right after installed the HP HD 3110 CD software,it ask me to restart the computer,and then it is when the boot problem makes appearance,bringing a black screen then it restart the computer constantly,with any possibility to get into Windows Developer Preview logon screen again.

To correct the issue I had to use Windows Developer Preview system restore options pressing the F8 button at boot,this is possible right before the black screen shows up ,when Windows Developer Preview title appears.

So, I would really appreciate if someone have the solution to correct this incompatibility software problem from HP HD 3110 web camera,mostly because the CD software contains the main functions to use this camera correctly,instead of use third party software.

Please let me know if you or someone found the solution to this boot problem associated with the HP HD 3110 web camera installation CD. Thanks!

Sincerely

Paolo Zumaya

• Edited by Zumpao36 Wednesday, January 04, 2012 5:11 AM
    Wednesday, January 04, 2012 5:10 AM

Answers

• Hi Carlos Gonzalez Canario,

after reinstalling WDP, try installing drivers one by one, restart  & check if problem occurs after each install. This way you can isolate the problem causing driver. Later, you can find a suitable driver on the manufacturer's site and install it directly or in Compatibility Mode. You may use the Device Manager for individual driver updates. Have seen this work on one of the threads here. Please give it a try.

Irfan
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 1:49 AM

All replies

• Zumpao36,

This problem leads me to believe that it is an issue with your software.  Have you been able to successfully install the software on other Windows Operating Systems?  Try installing the software in compatibility mode to see if that helps.

You can do this by following the below instructions:

·         Enter the Start screen

·         Move your mouse to the bottom left of the screen to expand the Charms section

·         Select Search

·         Type Compatibility

·         Click Settings in the right column

·         Click Run programs made for previous versions of Windows

·         Then follow the prompts and direct the troubleshooter to the installer for your computer's driver.

Please post back with your results.

Thanks,

Chris
    Wednesday, January 04, 2012 12:43 PM
  • Hi Zumpao36,

I think you may have to first repair your WDP. Try using the following steps:

Boot from the DVD/USB  

Press any key when you see the prompt to Press any key to boot from the CD. 

Once the Install Windows window appears, look for the Repair option at the lower left side.

Select to Repair your computer in the lower left side of the window, then progress to Troubleshoot, Advanced options, Automatic repair and finally Windows Developer Preview. Should that fail, try Safe Mode, Refresh and finally, Reset, using the same method.

Once your WDP has been restored, and you have received all your updates, try installing the "Arcsoft Webcam Companion and Magic-I" program in Compatibility Mode as suggested by Chris.

Irfan
    Thursday, January 05, 2012 2:34 PM
  • Well i experience the same problem and i didn't install any app so the problem may be other. In my case i've installed some windows updates then i restarted my machine and wihen windows developer past from the OS selection becuase i have windows 7 in dual boot, it made the same action in my computer, and i have reinstalled windows developer preview 3 times and he problem always suceed in diferent situations. In the last one i simply shut down my pc with no problems. and in the next day when i booted up its began  with the problem, so its a windows fall. Sorry if anyone knows the solution to this problem. 
    Monday, January 09, 2012 1:08 AM
  • Hi Carlos Gonzalez Canario,

after reinstalling WDP, try installing drivers one by one, restart  & check if problem occurs after each install. This way you can isolate the problem causing driver. Later, you can find a suitable driver on the manufacturer's site and install it directly or in Compatibility Mode. You may use the Device Manager for individual driver updates. Have seen this work on one of the threads here. Please give it a try.

Irfan
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 1:49 AM
  • Hello Zumpao36,

Since this is a preview for testing purposes and not even a Beta product, not all software will be compatible with the operating system.
    I suggest you try to install in compatibility mode. If that doesn't help, then you should contact ArcSoft to let them know about the incompatibility.

Next, I suggest you send feedback via the Connect website below.
    You can submit feedback using the Windows Feedback Tool from the Connect Site associated with your Windows Developer Preview program. If you’re an MSDN subscriber, the information on how to join the Connect program is included on the download page where you installed Windows Developer Preview. There’s a link to the Connect site and an invitation code that you can click on to join using a Windows Live ID account. If you’re not an MSDN subscriber follow this limited use link to join the Connect program and then follow the steps here.

If you are prompted for an invitation code, please enter the following key. MSDN-76H9-3CFP

https://connect.microsoft.com/site1147/InvitationUse.aspx?ProgramID=7221&InvitationID=MSDN-76H9-3CFP

Sincerely,

Marilyn
    Sunday, January 22, 2012 8:41 PM