Using Real GPS device and not AGPS for Location

Question

• Hi,

I need the following confirmation to understand GPS in Win8 Tablet :

1. Does Win8 tablet have built-in GPS device or GPS chip for Actual GPS location thru satellite?

2. If Win8 Tablet has one built-in GPS device, Can use GeoLocation Api to communicate with it?

3. If Win8 tablet does not have a built-in GPS device, can use an external one?  and what to use to communicate with it.

any code or sample on this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tuesday, December 9, 2014 7:54 AM

Answers

• Hi FireDance,

Does Win8 tablet have built-in GPS device or GPS chip for Actual GPS location thru satellite?

-> You should look at your device hand book for that information, as I know surface pro 3 does not have GPS device in-build: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/surfpro3-surfhardware/why-does-surface-pro-3-doesnt-have-gps/a4261e4b-6e15-4c53-a465-a3920a319c96.

If Win8 Tablet has one built-in GPS device, Can use GeoLocation Api to communicate with it?

If Win8 tablet does not have a built-in GPS device, can use an external one?  and what to use to communicate with it.

-> I combine these two questions together, and recommend you go through the Geolocation sample to see how a Windows Store app can detect a user's location. Also for your question, you can find the suggestions from: Location-aware apps guideline.

Besides, here is a interesting blog explain quite in detail where your GPS data comes from: https://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2012/09/11/the-winrt-location-api-where-did-my-location-data-come-from

If you have external GPS device, I believe once you install the drive, it should works fine with Windows Store App. I do not have such device off-hand, I cannot test for you. But I believe you can get data from it.

--James

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 5:00 AM
  • Hi FireDance,

Sorry to say, but SerialPort is not supported in WinRT, see this for more information: Alternatives to Windows APIs

However I searched a bit further, looks like the location data comes from Windows Location Provider, I think if you have GPS device driver installed on your PC, you can use sensor API to get current location data.

--James

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Monday, December 15, 2014 8:04 AM

All replies

• Hi FireDance,

Does Win8 tablet have built-in GPS device or GPS chip for Actual GPS location thru satellite?

-> You should look at your device hand book for that information, as I know surface pro 3 does not have GPS device in-build: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/surfpro3-surfhardware/why-does-surface-pro-3-doesnt-have-gps/a4261e4b-6e15-4c53-a465-a3920a319c96.

If Win8 Tablet has one built-in GPS device, Can use GeoLocation Api to communicate with it?

If Win8 tablet does not have a built-in GPS device, can use an external one?  and what to use to communicate with it.

-> I combine these two questions together, and recommend you go through the Geolocation sample to see how a Windows Store app can detect a user's location. Also for your question, you can find the suggestions from: Location-aware apps guideline.

Besides, here is a interesting blog explain quite in detail where your GPS data comes from: https://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2012/09/11/the-winrt-location-api-where-did-my-location-data-come-from

If you have external GPS device, I believe once you install the drive, it should works fine with Windows Store App. I do not have such device off-hand, I cannot test for you. But I believe you can get data from it.

--James

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 5:00 AM
  • Hi Jamles

It seems this GPS device is getting the data from satellite and is there SerialPort in winRT.  How to get data from COM port in winRT?

Thanks

Thursday, December 11, 2014 11:46 AM
  • Hi FireDance,

Sorry to say, but SerialPort is not supported in WinRT, see this for more information: Alternatives to Windows APIs

However I searched a bit further, looks like the location data comes from Windows Location Provider, I think if you have GPS device driver installed on your PC, you can use sensor API to get current location data.

--James

Monday, December 15, 2014 8:04 AM