How to dynamically (in code behind) add key/value pair to dropdown combo box in asp.net 2.0 C# RRS feed

• Question

• User193260626 posted

I have my data in the form of a Dictionary List object (key/value pair).  I want to populate a dropdown combo box with this object with both the key and value as the combo box index and value respectively. It seems to be not that easy in asp.net 2.0 C#. I am able to add just the value as follows:

foreach (KeyValuePair<int, string> kvp in states)

{

cboStates.Items.Add(kvp.Value.ToString());

}

In the above sample "states" is the Dictionary object. But I don't know how to add the key as the index in the combo box. I saw an article in VB.Net (http://aspalliance.com/1059_CodeSnip_How_to_Add_DataValues_for_Corresponding_Entries_in_a_Combo_Box_Using_Visual_Basic_NET.1 ) which creates a fake object with the key/value pair, and adds the object to the Items colletion of the combo box. But this method didn't work in C#.

{

cboState.Items.Add(new AddToComboBox(Convert.ToInt32(kvp.Key), Convert.ToString(kvp.Value)));

}

where AddToComboBox is the fake object with key/value as public properties. When I tried this I got, "The best overloaded method match for 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.ListItemCollection.Add(string)' has some invalid arguments" error. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 5:18 PM

Answers

• User849259894 posted

{ 
      cboStates.Items.Add(New ListItem(kvp.Value.ToString(), kvp.Key.ToString()) ;

}

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, September 19, 2007 6:10 PM

All replies

• User849259894 posted

{ 
      cboStates.Items.Add(New ListItem(kvp.Value.ToString(), kvp.Key.ToString()) ;

}

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, September 19, 2007 6:10 PM
  • User193260626 posted

Thanks a lot. It worked!

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 7:33 PM
  • User1736992962 posted

I have my data in the form of a Dictionary List object (key/value pair).  I want to populate a dropdown combo box with this object with both the key and value as the combo box index and value respectively.

Try This :

ddlAnuraktiRoles.DataSource = dictionaryObject;
    ddlAnuraktiRoles.DataTextField = "Key"; 
    ddlAnuraktiRoles.DataValueField = "Value"; 
    ddlAnuraktiRoles.DataBind();

Cheers!
    Gaurav.
    Anurakti Solutions!
    www.Anurakti.com

Monday, July 25, 2011 3:01 AM