none
Creating video of Kinect colour + audio streams RRS feed

• General discussion

• I've been trying to figure out a way to create a video file (e.g. MP4 or AVI, or whatever format works really) with the Kinect's colour camera as well as the audio. Ideally I'd like to do this from C#, and to have the two sources synchronised.

Creating a video from the colour camera seems to be relatively straightforward - AForge.NET or similar have APIs you can use to feed in a series of bitmaps.

However getting the audio from the sensor into a usable format that can go into a video seems a lot harder. From my reading, it looks like the audio system requires precision timing to get the audio frames/samples lined up correctly, and this isn't possible with managed code. Additionally the Kinect audio system seems to use its own model and is not compatible with normal Windows or .NET audio classes.

I've looked at other alternatives, including even using Kinect Studio to either monitor the sensor or play a recording and have the audio played as well. I could then use a screen capture utility like TechSmith SnagIt to record the correct area of the screen as well as the audio that Kinect Studio is outputting. However, this seems very brittle - and also I have a large number of recordings that I want to do this to, and I had hoped to be able to do it programmatically or at least scripted. Kinect Studio doesn't seem to have any way of automatically playing recordings (with the audio stream included) when it's started from the command line.

Am I missing any obvious alternatives here? Are there ways of getting the audio from the Kinect to be made available another way? Are there code samples or third-party applications that could help with this?
    Thursday, February 12, 2015 5:28 AM

All replies

• JohnDUoM,

Was wondering if you found a solution for this?  I am running into exactly the same issue and am currently looking for any pointers.

Monday, August 17, 2015 3:44 PM
  • Unfortunately no, I didn't. The best I was able to work out was to use an app called OpenBroadcaster (https://obsproject.com/), which can take screen captures of specific screens, windows, or parts of windows, as well as audio from the Kinect's microphone, and create FLV (Flash video) files out of them. I use this with the Color Basics and Body Basics samples to create real-time videos from the Kinect.

However, this isn't very easy to automate, and I haven't tested with Kinect Studio recordings to see how they work (I imagine it will be fine for the color/body cameras, but audio might not work).

Sorry I can't be more help.

Tuesday, August 18, 2015 11:15 AM