A Win8 metro app linked to a native dll that uses SUA (windows subsystem for UNIX)

Question

• If I have a native DLL that uses SUA (Windows susbsystem for UNIX). And I link this native dll to a metro app. Will this result in a valid metro app? Or will it fail the "application certification"? Note that this DLL would be built on VS 2008 and WILL NOT have any blacklisted Win32 APIs.

Please suggest!

Thanks in advance,

Upasana

• Edited by Ups_Sfnt Wednesday, April 4, 2012 1:52 PM
    Wednesday, April 4, 2012 1:46 PM

Answers

• SUA is deprecated starting with this release and will be completely removed in the next release. You should begin planning now to employ alternate methods for any applications, code or usage that depends on this feature.

And even your DLL doesn't call any blacklisted Win32 APIs and these Win32 APIs works well in the metro style application environment, i don't think the API from SUA SDK will work fine in your metro style application.

Best Regards,

Han Xia

• Marked as answer by Ups_Sfnt Thursday, April 5, 2012 6:30 AM
    Thursday, April 5, 2012 2:58 AM

All replies

• SUA is deprecated starting with this release and will be completely removed in the next release. You should begin planning now to employ alternate methods for any applications, code or usage that depends on this feature.

And even your DLL doesn't call any blacklisted Win32 APIs and these Win32 APIs works well in the metro style application environment, i don't think the API from SUA SDK will work fine in your metro style application.

Best Regards,

Han Xia

• Marked as answer by Ups_Sfnt Thursday, April 5, 2012 6:30 AM
    Thursday, April 5, 2012 2:58 AM
  • Thanks Han Xia! I further have a query - 

Suppose that my native DLL (linked to the metro app) ONLY uses the C-run time libs and valid Win32 APIs (for metro apps), then will it result in a valid metro app?

Thanks,

Upasana

• Edited by Ups_Sfnt Thursday, April 5, 2012 6:36 AM
    Thursday, April 5, 2012 6:29 AM
  • Friday, April 6, 2012 1:22 AM