VS2010 user configuration settings in a Citrix XenDesktop environment RRS feed

• Question

• We are delivering VS2010 to developers via non-persistent Citrix XenDesktops. Whenever a user logs in there is a significant delay as VS2010 configures itself for the first time for the user.

Is there a way we can define a standard configuration for VS2010 which is inherited by all users to remove this latency? If there was we would configure the master image accordingly and all virtual desktops would inherit this configuration.

Thanks in advance.

Steve R

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 4:04 PM

Answers

• Hi Steve,

I'm trying to reproduce this issue.

It seems "Citrix XenDesktops" is used as a Virtual Desktop. Your group use Visual Studio but each time one user logged on, you need to wait for Visual Studio load settings again?

If so, I recommend you open Tools>>Options>>Environment>>Import and Export Settings

Change the location to a network location. Then Visual Studio will restore settings to a network directory. Then you don't need to configure it whenever you opened it.

If you want to have the same setting for a Team, please refer to this page http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/xdfb57tf

To specify a .vssettings file for use across a group

1.From the Tools menu, choose Options.

2. In the Environment folder, choose Import and Export Settings.

3. Select Use team settings file.

4. Enter a UNC or local path, or click Browse to locate the group .vssettings file.

5. Click OK to apply the settings.

Regards,

Barry Wang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

• Marked as answer by Barry Wang Thursday, July 26, 2012 2:18 AM
    Thursday, July 19, 2012 7:09 AM

All replies

• Hi Steve,

I'm trying to reproduce this issue.

It seems "Citrix XenDesktops" is used as a Virtual Desktop. Your group use Visual Studio but each time one user logged on, you need to wait for Visual Studio load settings again?

If so, I recommend you open Tools>>Options>>Environment>>Import and Export Settings

Change the location to a network location. Then Visual Studio will restore settings to a network directory. Then you don't need to configure it whenever you opened it.

If you want to have the same setting for a Team, please refer to this page http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/xdfb57tf

To specify a .vssettings file for use across a group

1.From the Tools menu, choose Options.

2. In the Environment folder, choose Import and Export Settings.

3. Select Use team settings file.

4. Enter a UNC or local path, or click Browse to locate the group .vssettings file.

5. Click OK to apply the settings.

Regards,

Barry Wang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

• Marked as answer by Barry Wang Thursday, July 26, 2012 2:18 AM
    Thursday, July 19, 2012 7:09 AM
  • Steve,

I'm looking to do a similar environment for our students in our IT academy.  Talking with our faculty, the full setup on student computers is a real pain so if we could get a functional environment for them in our XenDesktop system would be great.  

I am curious how you are dealing with some of the SQLExpress and IIS integrations that are normally included with a VS install.  Would something like a Team Foundation server help with the non-persistent desktop, or is that not something you've been concerned with?

Finally, did Barry's suggestion help with the initial setup delay?

Thanks for any direction and experience you can pass along...

• Edited by kcm49 Monday, October 1, 2012 5:38 PM grammar correction
    Monday, October 1, 2012 5:35 PM