Internet Explorer: automatic redirection to application-defined protocol not working

Question

• Hello all,

in our account registration scenario using OAuth, the user receives an e-mail with an activation link. Once they confirmed their account on a web-page, the server tries to redirect to our application using a 302 HTTP status.

Response	HTTP/1.1 302 Found
    Content-Type	application/octet-stream
    Date	        Wed, 29 Aug 2012 09:47:07 GMT
    Location	doo://registration-activated
    Server	        nginx/1.0.11
    Set-Cookie	locale=en-GB;Path=/;Max-Age=7776000
    Content-Length	0
    Connection	keep-alive

Invoking this location manually will launch our app and work as expected but it seems like Internet Explorer is unable to issue an automatic redirect.

The error message reads:

The webpage cannot be displayed

Most likely cause:
    •Some content or files on this webpage require a program that you don't have installed.

We have changed our workflow a bit to compensate for this behaviour but I think it is unexpected.

I understand there may eventually be reasons to disable automatic redirection to external applications - had some annoying spam on my iPad a couple of days ago where the iTunes store was opened via protocol redirect - but in that case the error message is somewhat misleading.

Interestingly, it didn't work with Chrome either despite this changeset which suggests it should work.

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 10:08 AM

Answers