none
How to Backup Azure Storage Account FILE SHARE

Question

• is there a builtin way in Azure to backup and restore your Storage Account File Share?  i found AzCopy, but i wanted to know if there's a better way.
    Friday, July 22, 2016 8:21 PM

Answers

• There is no built in way yet.
    • Marked as answer by KDA654 Saturday, July 23, 2016 5:39 PM
    Saturday, July 23, 2016 6:31 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for posting here!

Below mentioned steps may be helpful to take a backup of shared files.

1. Create local account with the same username/password as Azure File Storage account.

2. Create symbolic link on file system to point to remote share (mklink /d c:\storage\folder \\file.core.windows.net\share\folder\)

3. Create backup task on Cobian and point as source folder c:\storage\folder

4. Under "advanced settings" in Cobian job, choose "run as different user" and specify local account you created in step 1.

5. At this point you have reliable Full/Incremental/Differential style backup to local file system in Azure VM. I installed Azure Windows Backup agent and also backed up to Azure recovery vault which provides "offsite storage"

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. And Vote as Helpful.

Saturday, July 23, 2016 2:09 PM

All replies

• There is no built in way yet.
    Saturday, July 23, 2016 6:31 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for posting here!

Below mentioned steps may be helpful to take a backup of shared files.

1. Create local account with the same username/password as Azure File Storage account.

2. Create symbolic link on file system to point to remote share (mklink /d c:\storage\folder \\file.core.windows.net\share\folder\)

3. Create backup task on Cobian and point as source folder c:\storage\folder

4. Under "advanced settings" in Cobian job, choose "run as different user" and specify local account you created in step 1.

5. At this point you have reliable Full/Incremental/Differential style backup to local file system in Azure VM. I installed Azure Windows Backup agent and also backed up to Azure recovery vault which provides "offsite storage"

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. And Vote as Helpful.

Saturday, July 23, 2016 2:09 PM
  • hi,

Please see below:

Use the Azure Portal to manage a file share

The Azure Portal provides a user interface for customers to manage file shares. From the portal, you can:

• Create your file share
    • Upload and download files to and from your file share
    • Monitor the actual usage of each file share
    • Adjust the share size quota
    • Get the net use command to use to mount the file share from a Windows client

Create file share

1. Sign in to the Azure portal.

2. On the navigation menu, click Storage accounts or Storage accounts (classic).

Screenshot that shows how to create file share in the portal

3. Choose your storage account.

4. Choose "Files" service.

5. Click "File shares" and follow the link to create your first file share.

6. Fill in the file share name and the size of the file share (up to 5120 GB) to create your first file share. Once the file share has been created, you can mount it from any file system that supports SMB 2.1 or SMB 3.0.

Upload and download files

1. Choose one file share your already created.

Screenshot that shows how to upload and download files from the portal

2. Click Upload to open the user interface for files uploading.

Screenshot that shows how to upload files from the portal

3. Right click on one file and choose Download to download it into local.

Screenshot that shows how to download file from the portal

Manage file share

1. Click Quota to change the size of the file share (up to 5120 GB).

Screenshot that shows how to configure the quota of the file share

2. Click Connect to get the command line for mounting the file share from Windows.

Screenshot that shows how to mount the file share

Screenshot that shows how to mount the file share

Tip:

To find the storage account access key for mounting, click Settings of your storage account, and then click Access keys.

Screenshot that shows how to find the storage account access key

Screenshot that shows how to find the storage account access key

Mark as answer if it help you.

Thanks

Saturday, July 23, 2016 2:45 PM
  • thank you.  i guess the answer is "No builtin method"  however you can workaround by mapping and backing up back into azure.   kinda sucks but i just wanted to confirm my findings.  thank you again.
    Saturday, July 23, 2016 5:41 PM