Visual Studio Online Eligibility RRS feed

• Question

• With today's announcement for Visual Studio Online, I expected to be able to add a new Visual Studio Online App Service to my Azure MSDN Ultimate account.  However, Azure states that I do not have an eligible Windows Azure Subscription.  I use the same Microsoft Account to log into my MSDN Ultimate, Windows Azure MSDN Ultimate account, and my TFS Online account.  If I click on the Visual Studio Online sign up link under the benefits tab on the MSDN page, it takes me to my TFS Online Account.
    Wednesday, November 13, 2013 7:13 PM

Answers

• Hi everyone,

Hope this summary helps:

When you have an eligible MSDN Subscription, you can connect to Visual Studio Online with the same Microsoft account as your MSDN Subscription. If you have different Microsoft accounts, say, one for Visual Studio Online and one for your MSDN Subscription, you can reassign your subscription to the Microsoft account you use for Visual Studio Online.

A Windows Azure subscription comes into play when you need to buy licenses other than the 5 free Basic ones included with your Visual Studio Online account. Or if you're going to use more than the monthly free limits for build and load testing. You can't use your Windows Azure benefit for these purchases because it's a personal benefit. So you'll need another Windows Azure subscription to bill your Visual Studio Online account.

To set up billing, sign in to the Windows Azure portal as the Visual Studio Online account owner. Make sure you have a Windows Azure subscription that you can use. Go to Visual Studio Online in Windows Azure and link your Visual Studio Online account to that subscription.

Your Windows Azure subscription won't be charged until you've bought additional licenses or exceeded the monthly free limits after turning on paid build or load testing. You can also add other Windows Azure administrators to manage billing for your subscription.

Does that help?

Esther Fan | Visual Studio | If a post answers your question, please mark it as the answer. Thanks!

Friday, November 15, 2013 12:51 AM

All replies

• I am experiencing the same issues.....
    Wednesday, November 13, 2013 8:54 PM
  • You have to create a different subscription to manage your TFS Online account - your Windows Azure account supports multiple subscriptions and so you just need to create another one. 
    Wednesday, November 13, 2013 11:36 PM
  • Bryan, sorry but I'm still a bit confused.  I already have an Azure account, I already have and MSDN Ultimate subscription, and I already have TFS Service account.  Why would I need to create another account?  Are you saying that Visual Studio Online is not included with my MSDN Ultimate subscription?
    Thursday, November 14, 2013 12:26 AM
  • I have the same situation here. I have a Windows Azure MSDN Ultimate subscription, from my BizSpark benefits. The official page (http://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/get-started/assign-licenses-to-users-vs) says that I have an eligible account for use Visual Studio Online.

My TFService account also not changed to the new portal.

I am wondering if someday a Microsoft representative will answer this question.
    Thursday, November 14, 2013 1:42 AM
  • I also have the same issue. Anybody found a workaround?
    Thursday, November 14, 2013 1:47 AM
  • I have the same situation here. I have a Windows Azure MSDN Ultimate subscription, from my BizSpark benefits. The official page (http://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/get-started/assign-licenses-to-users-vs) says that I have an eligible account for use Visual Studio Online.

My TFService account also not changed to the new portal.

I am wondering if someday a Microsoft representative will answer this question.

Well, searching across the new Visual Studio portal, I have found the answers.

According to the Billing Setup Page, you can't link your Visual Studio Online account your Windows Azure subscription was created from a Windows Azure MSDN benefit. If your Windows Azure account is a benefit of a MSDN subscription, you can't link it because you are not able to be billed if you expend the build or tests hours limits, or also the user limits. I have tried to remove the spending limit from my Windows Azure subscription, but the account still is not eligible.

This way seems a little correct. Thinking more comercially, the best way to ensure you will pay for the service if you expend the free limits is this business model.

The resolution of this problem is also not too hard. You can create a new "Pay-as-you-go" subscription in Windows Azure and link this subscription to your Visual Studio Online (the old TFService) to this subscription. Don't worry, the free resources will be used until you scale your Visual Studio Online app.

1. Go to your Windows Azure Subscriptions page.
    2. Click the "Add" button below and add a "Pay-as-you-go" subscription.
    3. Go back to portal and filter the items by your new subscription 
    4. Select the "Visual Studio Online" group in the left navbar and click the link to create or link to an existing Visual Studio Online.
    5. When clicking the option to link to an existing account, the dropdown will be filled with your exisisting TFService account automatically.
    6. Link to your account! The application will be criated and you can manage the resources in the scale section. Also, in the new Visual Studio Online portal, you will see the users who have the MSDN accounts and you have the control to assign the accounts (see more at this link.

Have a nice Visual Studio Online portal!

Regards.

• Proposed as answer by Gustavo Gondim Thursday, November 14, 2013 3:30 AM
    Thursday, November 14, 2013 3:30 AM
  • Good workaround. But all the things in my MSDN account i do with one single @msn mail and Visual Studio Online supposed to work too. I hope MS stop be lazy and correct this. Bad start for one service that I already pay with my ultimate MSDN account, and if that is only solution "create new account..." its a shame... The message error talk about eligible subscriptions and not about "new accounts" so MS stop be lazy and correct the error message if "new account" are the solution.

tcfialho

Thursday, November 14, 2013 12:08 PM
  • Good workaround. But all the things in my MSDN account i do with one single @msn mail and Visual Studio Online supposed to work too. I hope MS stop be lazy and correct this. Bad start for one service that I already pay with my ultimate MSDN account, and if that is only solution "create new account..." its a shame... The message error talk about eligible subscriptions and not about "new accounts" so MS stop be lazy and correct the error message if "new account" are the solution.

tcfialho

This problem is related to the subscription and not to the account. You can use the same account that you use for MSDN and Windows Azure for the Visual Studio Online.

The problem with the eligibility is related to the Windows Azure benefit acquired with the MSDN Subscription. The new Visual Studio Online subscription requires you have an active Windows Azure account, because you can scale the subscription and have more users/build hours/test hours. With the Azure benefit of MSDN subscription you couldn't scale your VSO account.

You can have multiple subscriptions at Windows Azure with the same Live account that you use in MSDN. And this workaround don't demand you create a new account, but a new subscription which make you able to scale VSO. And you even don't need to create a new VSO account, you can link an existing to the new subscription, like I answered before.

After linking the VSO account with the new subscription, you also may be able to manage the users who have MSDN Ultimate subscriptions and those who don't. 

Anyway, I was a lot confused with this new manner to subscribe for the VSO account. Everyone is getting confused. I think it can be the right way, but is not even a little intuitive.
    Thursday, November 14, 2013 5:25 PM
  • Hi everyone,

Hope this summary helps:

When you have an eligible MSDN Subscription, you can connect to Visual Studio Online with the same Microsoft account as your MSDN Subscription. If you have different Microsoft accounts, say, one for Visual Studio Online and one for your MSDN Subscription, you can reassign your subscription to the Microsoft account you use for Visual Studio Online.

A Windows Azure subscription comes into play when you need to buy licenses other than the 5 free Basic ones included with your Visual Studio Online account. Or if you're going to use more than the monthly free limits for build and load testing. You can't use your Windows Azure benefit for these purchases because it's a personal benefit. So you'll need another Windows Azure subscription to bill your Visual Studio Online account.

To set up billing, sign in to the Windows Azure portal as the Visual Studio Online account owner. Make sure you have a Windows Azure subscription that you can use. Go to Visual Studio Online in Windows Azure and link your Visual Studio Online account to that subscription.

Your Windows Azure subscription won't be charged until you've bought additional licenses or exceeded the monthly free limits after turning on paid build or load testing. You can also add other Windows Azure administrators to manage billing for your subscription.

Does that help?

Esther Fan | Visual Studio | If a post answers your question, please mark it as the answer. Thanks!

Friday, November 15, 2013 12:51 AM
  • I have a similar issue. I owned the initial Team Foundation Services account before it became Visual Studio Online. My account has MSDN benefits on it so I created a new account (just an e-mail alias of my current account to keep them separate) and attached a company card to it so we could scale out if needed. Problem is, the owner has to be a part of the project administrators group so it must have a VSO license. I lost 1 of my 5 free basic subscriptions because of this. Is that normal or am I doing it wrong?
    Monday, November 18, 2013 5:17 PM
  • Hi Shawn,

Just to make sure I understand what you said. Your first account has an eligible MSDN Subscription, but you want to keep it separate. So you created "another account" but using an alias for the first account? 

If that's right, I'm not sure the service recognizes your two "accounts" as the same account. When you sign in with your first account, the service should recognize your MSDN Subscription or status as an "Early Adopter" for using the service before November 13, 2013. This should exempt you from using one of your free Basic licenses. Here's more info about that.

When you sign in with your second account, I think the service treats that account as another user. So that's why the account is using one of your free Basic licenses.

By the way, the account used to scale out must be the account owner when you set up billing through Windows Azure.

Monday, November 18, 2013 10:56 PM
  • Hi Esther,

Correct, the first account was an MSDN subscription holder. Second account was an e-mail alias (so I got the e-mails from the account) with no MSDN subscription attacked to it. It is really a "dummy" (for lack of a better word) account that will own the VS Online account because you can't link VS Online to the MSDN account. The second account has a card on it for the company so we can scale out with it as needed. Could I have done this on the MSDN subscription account somehow so I don't have to have the dummy account? (Thus saving me a basic license for the scale out user?) I also noticed when I created my "dummy" account on Windows Azure, I couldn't be under the free trial period when linking the VS Online account until I turned off the trial period hours.

Friday, November 22, 2013 12:11 AM
  • Hi Shawn,

Did you mean the Windows Azure free trial?

The restriction with using a MSDN Subscription for scale out applies just to the Windows Azure benefit. So, you can still use the MSDN Subscription account as Visual Studio Online account owner. You'd then create a new Windows Azure subscription with that account and link the VS Online account to the new subscription.

Friday, November 22, 2013 9:30 PM