none
Galileo 2 and .net RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I just bought a Galileo Gen2, and ran some examples without problems.
    I installed Windows on a Micro SD and ran also some .net console simple applications.

Maybe it's a stupid question... how I can manipulate a port from a .net console application?
    Is it possible?

many thanks

Sunday, October 5, 2014 7:40 AM

Answers

• Today you can write Arduino like application on Galileo in C++ because there is the wiring layer (from Arduino) that provides you the way to use pins on the board.

As I said, .Net development isn't officially supported on Galileo even if simple console applications run.

There isn't a .Net wrapper for wiring library (see above) that you can use from console .net application.

So for now, officiallty you can't use .Net on Galileo. The only available solution is to use Mono (see link above) but there isn't a .Net wrapper to access GPIO ping from .Net managed code.

Paolo.

Paolo Patierno

• Marked as answer by Dino65 Monday, October 6, 2014 12:50 PM
    Monday, October 6, 2014 11:12 AM

All replies

• What do you mean by "port"? That is a very overloaded term; you'll have to be more specific

-Brian

Azius Developer Training www.azius.com Windows device driver, internals, security, & forensics training and consulting. Blog at www.azius.com/blog

• Unmarked as answer by Dino65 Monday, October 6, 2014 1:18 PM
    Sunday, October 5, 2014 8:00 PM
  • Hi,

what do you mean with "port" ?

Remember that current OS image supports C++ develop (with a minimal not official support for .Net).

See here : http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsdesktop/en-US/7f4f3b00-458d-4f86-9034-2785a93f3d85/intel-galileo-windows-iot-c-net-programming?forum=HardwareBoards#55bd3fc6-4f10-41ff-a4e6-8635da470fb2

Paolo.

Paolo Patierno

• Unmarked as answer by Dino65 Monday, October 6, 2014 1:18 PM
    Monday, October 6, 2014 6:08 AM
  • OK, first thank you two.
    I was not so specific... and my english is poor, so please forgive me.
    I'll say it with an example:
    I have Galileo board with Windows 8.1 headless installed on SD card.

I compile a console application in .net (or whatever programming Language  is supported)
    I copy that application on disk C of Galileo.
    This application simply blinks a led. (say on port 13)

I've seen Paolo's link and, as told there, I need something as Raspberry GPIO library does. Of course not a full library ready-made, just information if it's possible, programmatically, to interacts with PINS on the Arduino Shiled.
    In this way is possible create a program, put into startup anche have more features than Arduino IDE has.

Hope I am more clear.
    many thanks
    Dino

Monday, October 6, 2014 11:06 AM
  • Today you can write Arduino like application on Galileo in C++ because there is the wiring layer (from Arduino) that provides you the way to use pins on the board.

As I said, .Net development isn't officially supported on Galileo even if simple console applications run.

There isn't a .Net wrapper for wiring library (see above) that you can use from console .net application.

So for now, officiallty you can't use .Net on Galileo. The only available solution is to use Mono (see link above) but there isn't a .Net wrapper to access GPIO ping from .Net managed code.

Paolo.

Paolo Patierno

Monday, October 6, 2014 11:12 AM
  • Hi Paolo,

I've seen the visual studio template (wiring application). It is a C++ application.

Do you think it's possible to make a DLL/LIB project with a simple interface (something like void pinMode(int port, int state) and link that library to another app (C++ or .net with a wrapper)??

What I am missing in the concept is:
    When working with arduino, the compiled pgm is upload inside the ATMEL processor, running inside it's flash.
    An external program can only communicate with that program through a channel like serial, ethernet etc.
    So I send a command (say through serial) and I tell RAISE PIN X. Program on Arduino gets that request and do the work.

What I thought is that with Galileo/Edison the support for that kind of works was "native": so, in that case, an application running onto Windows 8.1 would have directs access (programmatically) to PINS of the shield.
    The wire example seems like the Win app comunicate with I2C to "arduino side" of Board, as if it was a separate MCU.
    Hope I am undestandable.
    Many thank
    Dino

• Edited by Dino65 Monday, October 6, 2014 12:45 PM
    Monday, October 6, 2014 12:30 PM