How Can I Toggle the Invisibility of Children Column Groups? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm creating a report that shows test results of a student's ACT Composite score, along the the results of the categories English, Math, Reading, and Science.  What I would like is for the report to open with the Composite score only being visible, and either the ability to drill down to the category scores or click on the Composite column and expand the other scores in columns that are hidden and toggled on by Composite.  I've been playing all afternoon and have not had any luck.  My dataset looks like this:

I keep thinking the solution is to create a Column Group on Test Name, and then a second child group also on Test Name.  The problem with this solution is that when I filter the Parent Group to only bring in Composite, that filter trickles down to the child group as well.  Then I thought I would leave the filter alone, and Hide the parent group column unless it only contained the test name "composite", but for some reason this also trickled down to the child group.

I'm not completely married to the idea of having these values as columns -- if there was a way to click on the score value and have it possibly expand/show the category scores as a hidden row record or something, that would be fine to.  

Bottom line, I'd just like to be able to start off with Composite scores, and then have them click to expand and show the category scores that make up the composite -- all in the same report, my clients don't want a subreport or seperate report...

Any suggestions!?!?

Monday, March 25, 2013 8:39 PM

Answers

• Hello,

In Reporting Services, Filters are applied at run time first on the dataset, and then on the data region, and then on the group, in top-down order for group hierarchies. In that case, the filter on child group will affect on the parent group.

In a table, matrix, or list, filters for row groups, column groups, and adjacent groups are applied independently. you can try to add the second "Test_name" group and adjacent group of the parent column group.

For more details, please see:How to add a filter

Regards,
    Fanny Liu

Fanny Liu
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by puffster Friday, March 29, 2013 6:20 PM
    Friday, March 29, 2013 7:32 AM

All replies

• I wanted to share some more detail.  I thought I was finally onto something, but I feel like I just am not getting it :(.

Still using the same dataset as above, as the screenshot below shows I created two column groups: A Parent Group named Explore_Tests that will bring back all tests with the word "Explore" in them (based on the group filtering); and a Child Group called Test_Name that will bring back only Tests with the name "Math" in them.  The way I thought it would work is that the Parent Group would filter out the Explore tests, and then the Child Group would filter from those tests and only show Math tests.  When I initially created just the Parent Group and ran the report, all Explore tests showed, just as I had hoped.  However, when I created the Child Group, now it only shows Math tests.  So how is is that the child group filtering has an affect on the Parent Group filtering?

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 5:56 PM
  • Hello,

In Reporting Services, Filters are applied at run time first on the dataset, and then on the data region, and then on the group, in top-down order for group hierarchies. In that case, the filter on child group will affect on the parent group.

In a table, matrix, or list, filters for row groups, column groups, and adjacent groups are applied independently. you can try to add the second "Test_name" group and adjacent group of the parent column group.

For more details, please see:How to add a filter

Regards,
    Fanny Liu

Fanny Liu
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by puffster Friday, March 29, 2013 6:20 PM
    Friday, March 29, 2013 7:32 AM
  • Thank you for responding!  Your answer made me rethink what I was doing...and ultimately I decided I needed to create a new parent group in my database, to group the tests under.  As a result, I have all the individual test components: Composite, English, Math, etc. and created a Parent Group for these components called: Explore Results, PLAN Results, etc.  Now on the report, my Parent Group is the newly created database field, and the Child group is my original test components.  I added some screenshots below that will probably better explain it than I am :).

Friday, March 29, 2013 6:33 PM