Sharepoint Data Calculation Question RRS feed

• Question

• We're using Sharepoint 2003 here at work and I am attempting to make a simple data list. I want one of my columns to automatically populate with data upon each new entry in this format: MMDDYYX where MMDDYY is today's date and the X is a letter that will increment each time starting with A. For example, if I was entering today's data, it would start with 012012A and then B would follow and so on. Tomorrow would reset and start with 012112A. Is there a function that I can use to perform this? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you for the assistance.
    • Edited by RangerLG Friday, January 20, 2012 6:36 PM
    Friday, January 20, 2012 4:16 PM

Answers

• Hi RangerLG,

There is no such a funtion in SharePoint by default. As a workaround, we can use another list store a number which can increase automatically instead of a char. (When a new item is created, update this number in the second list to current number +1 . Then when a new item in today is created, update the entry with today + that number field. Here we need 2 workflows to start each other recurrently).

Or we can alse deploy a event  handler and look for the max char in today's data, and update the new created entry with today+(ascii of the max char+1).

Best regards,
    Emir

Emir Liu

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by RangerLG Thursday, January 26, 2012 8:39 PM
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 7:02 AM

All replies

• Hi RangerLG,

There is no such a funtion in SharePoint by default. As a workaround, we can use another list store a number which can increase automatically instead of a char. (When a new item is created, update this number in the second list to current number +1 . Then when a new item in today is created, update the entry with today + that number field. Here we need 2 workflows to start each other recurrently).

Or we can alse deploy a event  handler and look for the max char in today's data, and update the new created entry with today+(ascii of the max char+1).

Best regards,
    Emir

Emir Liu

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by RangerLG Thursday, January 26, 2012 8:39 PM
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 7:02 AM
  • Thanks for the assistance.  I think it would be easier if I have the entry manually entered by the user.  I was hoping there was a straight forward way.  Again, thank you for the assistance.
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 8:39 PM