Opinion - Webpages vs Webforms vs MVC RRS feed

• Question

• User-2051275383 posted

Hey guys,

I know this is a bit of an open ended question but I am hoping to get some guidance. I have been using Webpages for some time now, really like the Razor syntax and have built some sweet web-based applications.

I am starting to build more complicated applications, with higher volumes of data and more complication functions. Webpages seems to be doing the job and I am comfortable with it however should I look at progressing toward Web Forms or MVC? Or simply stick with Webpages as it does the job and I haven't had any issues with it?

Also it looks like Webmatrix isn't being developed further so I am starting to make use of VS Express for Web as a logical step forward. Should I continue to use this as the IDE?

Thanks in anticipation!

Friday, August 15, 2014 11:17 PM

Answers

• User-821857111 posted
    You should continue to use Visual Studio Express instead of WebMatrix. That way you can use the latest version of Web Pages. Although no major new features have been added for some time, it is still receiving updates. It still forms the recommended view engine for MVC so it won't be forgotten.

Unless you have a compelling reason to move to MVC, I suggest sticking with Web Pages for the time being.
    • Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Saturday, August 16, 2014 2:49 AM
  • User895691971 posted

a-rad

...and have built some sweet web-based applications.

If you're about to build some Applications, then MVC would be the bid. 

Web Pages was developed for a personal website thing. If you're having a personal business like a "Bakery" then you can use Web Pages and port your codes to it and you'll be good to go!

Web Forms, I think it was an alternate to the Windows Forms that was designed for the software, this framework is just the alternate for that one in the Web platform. If you're going to have much much data validation stuff then use Web Forms.

MVC, Model-View-Controller would be your bid if you're going to be standing at the Enterprise level! MVC can help you get started and to get to the peak. 

a-rad

I am starting to build more complicated applications, with higher volumes of data and more complication functions. Webpages seems to be doing the job and I am comfortable with it however should I look at progressing toward Web Forms or MVC? Or simply stick with Webpages as it does the job and I haven't had any issues with it?

I have developed many websites that required MVC using Web Pages only. Web Pages, after all is built on ASP.NET Framework so you don't have to worry. But if you look at the structure you can see there is a huge change. Web Pages is all merged up in one .cshtml file. Whereas MVC controlls everything seperately, Controllers take up your HTTP requests and responses seperately and you get a better change to just focus on them, Views make up the rendering part and you get a chance to manage what you should let the user see and what must be hidden. Models are, friendly talking, C# Class file (.cs) that you use for your object for better data validation etc. 

You get the same Validation in MVC that you will get in Web Forms, but with a better structure for the website too. 

a-rad

Also it looks like Webmatrix isn't being developed further so I am starting to make use of VS Express for Web as a logical step forward. Should I continue to use this as the IDE?

Yes, you can use Visual Studio as there are many features and plugins added to Visual Studio which help you out through your development process. WebMatrix, isn't going to get an update, says the chit chat around the web.

If you're worried about future releases, then look up! Web Pages is also saying Bye Bye, since there is a new Framework called MVC 6 which will take over all these three and will come up as a single one. 

More over, ASP.NET vNext might be the first place for you to go and learn ASP.NET, since in coming days it will be live and people will be going that way! 

Saturday, August 16, 2014 5:44 AM

All replies

• User197322208 posted

Next path is MVC> But do not do it without reason

Saturday, August 16, 2014 1:27 AM
  • User-821857111 posted
    You should continue to use Visual Studio Express instead of WebMatrix. That way you can use the latest version of Web Pages. Although no major new features have been added for some time, it is still receiving updates. It still forms the recommended view engine for MVC so it won't be forgotten.

Unless you have a compelling reason to move to MVC, I suggest sticking with Web Pages for the time being.
    Saturday, August 16, 2014 2:49 AM
  • User895691971 posted

a-rad

...and have built some sweet web-based applications.

If you're about to build some Applications, then MVC would be the bid. 

Web Pages was developed for a personal website thing. If you're having a personal business like a "Bakery" then you can use Web Pages and port your codes to it and you'll be good to go!

Web Forms, I think it was an alternate to the Windows Forms that was designed for the software, this framework is just the alternate for that one in the Web platform. If you're going to have much much data validation stuff then use Web Forms.

MVC, Model-View-Controller would be your bid if you're going to be standing at the Enterprise level! MVC can help you get started and to get to the peak. 

a-rad

I have developed many websites that required MVC using Web Pages only. Web Pages, after all is built on ASP.NET Framework so you don't have to worry. But if you look at the structure you can see there is a huge change. Web Pages is all merged up in one .cshtml file. Whereas MVC controlls everything seperately, Controllers take up your HTTP requests and responses seperately and you get a better change to just focus on them, Views make up the rendering part and you get a chance to manage what you should let the user see and what must be hidden. Models are, friendly talking, C# Class file (.cs) that you use for your object for better data validation etc. 

You get the same Validation in MVC that you will get in Web Forms, but with a better structure for the website too. 

a-rad

Yes, you can use Visual Studio as there are many features and plugins added to Visual Studio which help you out through your development process. WebMatrix, isn't going to get an update, says the chit chat around the web.

If you're worried about future releases, then look up! Web Pages is also saying Bye Bye, since there is a new Framework called MVC 6 which will take over all these three and will come up as a single one. 

More over, ASP.NET vNext might be the first place for you to go and learn ASP.NET, since in coming days it will be live and people will be going that way! 

Saturday, August 16, 2014 5:44 AM
  • User-821857111 posted

Afzaal.Ahmad.Zeeshan

Web Pages is also saying Bye Bye

No it's not. It will be part of vNext.

It's very early days with vNext. I wouldn't expect to see anything released before summer 2015. The current CTPs are at a very early stage. You can expect a lot of changes between now and next year.

Saturday, August 16, 2014 6:19 AM
  • User-2051275383 posted

Oh no.. Conflicting info!!!

I did us vNext - but I will be taking a 'wait and see approach' as Mike has suggested...

Saturday, August 16, 2014 7:27 AM
  • User379720387 posted

It depends on what your purpose is.

If it is primarily self education then enjoy whatever has your fancy.

If you are educating yourself on behalf on an employer, then knowing about other development platforms would be beneficial for the employer and enhance your resume.

If it is a commercial purpose, then you need to consider what type of customer you are going to serve. Will you get customers who would want a full fledged enterprise application from you? I am thinking that there would be a lot of in-house expertise in big organizations. If you are pursuing clients who are small to medium size businesses, then having expertise on a platform suitable for them would be more valuable for you.

Saturday, August 16, 2014 9:02 AM
  • User895691971 posted

Afzaal.Ahmad.Zeeshan

Afzaal.Ahmad.Zeeshan

It's very early days with vNext. I wouldn't expect to see anything released before summer 2015. The current CTPs are at a very early stage. You can expect a lot of changes between now and next year.

Oh, thanks for clarification. I was just being sure for this as the chit chat on this forum was saying. Sorry for confusion a-rad.

Saturday, August 16, 2014 9:31 AM
  • User-2051275383 posted

Mikesdotnetting

Afzaal.Ahmad.Zeeshan

Afzaal.Ahmad.Zeeshan

Oh, thanks for clarification. I was just being sure for this as the chit chat on this forum was saying. Sorry for confusion a-rad.

All good - It's not supposed to be a debate, I was seeking opinions as I am not sure what direction to go. I have started to move away from Webmatrix to VS Express for Web, moved my applications over to full MS SQL Servers and I want to learn more!

I tend to learn more through examples, Mike's blog is excellent for this - Any more resources anyone can recommend? 

Saturday, August 16, 2014 10:03 PM
  • User-2051275383 posted

It depends on what your purpose is.

If it is primarily self education then enjoy whatever has your fancy.

If you are educating yourself on behalf on an employer, then knowing about other development platforms would be beneficial for the employer and enhance your resume.

If it is a commercial purpose, then you need to consider what type of customer you are going to serve. Will you get customers who would want a full fledged enterprise application from you? I am thinking that there would be a lot of in-house expertise in big organizations. If you are pursuing clients who are small to medium size businesses, then having expertise on a platform suitable for them would be more valuable for you.

In terms of answering this too, I enjoy coding.. Started with HTML when I was younger, moved to PHP/MySQL and then transitioned to Webmatrix (Razor/.NET) when they came about. It seems like a secure, robust and relatively similar to the PHP code I used to use. In terms of employer, I am not employed to code however I do build applications as part my role and I do enjoy the creative nature of it.

I have no plans for releasing 'commerical' products, I would say its more of a hobby than a career path (if that helps!)

Saturday, August 16, 2014 10:08 PM
  • User-1980594115 posted

I have made state-wide used web projects using Web Pages.  I was concerned about if thousands of users would bring the system down, but everything has been working perfectly. I have not been unhappy with Web Pages in a production setting.  Though I have thought about learning and using MVC, Web Pages development has been a perfect fit so far. Web Pages has been simple in developing and very reliable in production.

Monday, August 18, 2014 1:46 PM