Install from C# Setup Project RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to run sql server 2008 setup from a C# Visual Studio Setup project. One of the C# setup actions is to run a C# winforms project which installs SQL server but I am encountering errors. I think it might be due to the MS Installer being run to install the SQL Server as part of it's setup.

Here are there errors I am receiving. Does anyone have any idea how to work around this?

Running Action: MsiTimingAction
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Running Action: Install_sql_engine_core_shared_Cpu32_Action
    Sco: Attempting to create base registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, machine
    Sco: Attempting to open registry subkey
    Sco: Attempting to open registry subkey SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\9.0
    Sco: Attempting to get registry value InstallDir
    Target package: "C:\Documents and Settings\me\Local Settings\Temp\S
    QLEXPRESS2008\x86\setup\sql_engine_core_shared_msi\sql_engine_core_shared.msi"
    InstallPackage: MsiInstallProduct returned the result code 1618.
    Watson Bucket 1
     Original Parameter Values

Parameter 0 : 10.0.2531.0

Parameter 1 : 10.0.1600.22

Parameter 2 : sql_engine_core_shared.msi

Parameter 3 : 0x2D2816FE

Parameter 4 : 0x1618

Parameter 5 : Install_sql_engine_core_shared

Final Parameter Values

Parameter 0 : 10.0.2531.0

Parameter 1 : 10.0.1600.22

Parameter 2 : sql_engine_core_shared.msi

Parameter 3 : 0x2D2816FE

Parameter 4 : 0x1618

Parameter 5 : Install_sql_engine_core_shared

Sco: Attempting to write hklm registry key SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Serv
    er to file C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\2009050
    4_083326\Registry_SOFTWARE_Microsoft_Microsoft SQL Server.reg_
    Sco: Attempting to write hklm registry key SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVer
    sion\Uninstall to file C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap
    \Log\20090504_083326\Registry_SOFTWARE_Microsoft_Windows_CurrentVersion_Uninstal
    l.reg_
    Sco: Attempting to write hklm registry key SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSSQLServer to fil
    e C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20090504_083326\
    Registry_SOFTWARE_Microsoft_MSSQLServer.reg_

Watson bucket for Msi based failure has been created
    Retry-able MSI return code detected: 1618
    Sleep 120 seconds before retry attempt.....

Monday, May 4, 2009 3:02 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Am also facing the same issue, even am doing the same thing what stumple was doing (adding sql setup as custom action to an MSI)

here is the error am getting

Slp: ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Slp: Running Action: MsiTimingAction

Slp: ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Running Action: Install_SqlSupport_Cpu32_Action

Slp: Sco: Attempting to create base registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, machine 

Slp: Sco: Attempting to open registry subkey 

Slp: Sco: Attempting to open registry subkey SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\9.0

Slp: Target package: "d:\bdba8adefe4dabd751c476a40463\PCUSOURCE\x86\setup\1033\SqlSupport.msi"

Slp: InstallPackage: MsiInstallProduct returned the result code 1618.

Slp: Watson Bucket 1 

Original Parameter Values 

Slp: Parameter 0 : 10.0.2531.0 

Slp: Parameter 1 : 10.1.2531.0 

Slp: Parameter 2 : SqlSupport.msi 

Slp: Parameter 3 : 0x2D2816FE 

Slp: Parameter 4 : 0x1618 

Slp: Parameter 5 : Install_SqlSupport 

Slp: 

Final Parameter Values 

Slp: Parameter 0 : 10.0.2531.0 

Slp: Parameter 1 : 10.1.2531.0 

Slp: Parameter 2 : SqlSupport.msi 

Slp: Parameter 3 : 0x2D2816FE 

Slp: Parameter 4 : 0x1618 

Slp: Parameter 5 : Install_SqlSupport 

Slp: Sco: Attempting to write hklm registry key SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server to file c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20110602_102836\Registry_SOFTWARE_Microsoft_Microsoft SQL Server.reg_

Slp: Sco: Unable to write hklm registry key SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server to file c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20110602_102836\Registry_SOFTWARE_Microsoft_Microsoft SQL Server.reg_, Win32 error 2

Slp: Sco: Attempting to write hklm registry key SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall to file c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20110602_102836\Registry_SOFTWARE_Microsoft_Windows_CurrentVersion_Uninstall.reg_

Slp: Watson Bucket 2 

and so on.......... up to

Spl:Watson Bucket 2044

Can anyone help me on this, its very urgent, already i have spent 3 days trying to rectify this error.

Please mark the post as answer if it is helpfull to you - Hiran Repakula
    Thursday, June 2, 2011 6:58 AM
  • Hi,

I don't remember exactly what I did since this was over a year ago. I think the problem is that when you are inside of an installer you can not launch another installer. Just try doing this with two installs. Launch the first and then launch a second. You will get some sort of error saying that another installer is running. Now, I do not know this to be the answer but I moved on and made my winforms project a stand alone.  Since I have a custom installer then I just call this file to install it.

This option may not be available to you so here is something else I did. I made the sql install a pre-requisite. There is a tool out there somewhere that helps you make custom pre-requisites. For this you have to use the setup.exe part of your installer though. Look around and you will find the program on the forums.

Thursday, June 2, 2011 2:30 PM