SSRS 2005 Data Retrieval Limit? RRS feed

• Question

• User339897071 posted

Have a SSRS 2005 report that gets data from a SQL server 2005 database table. Two columns of table the report uses, are varchar(MAX).  I put about 54K worth of data in those two table columns.  When I select the data directly from the table using SQL Manager I can retrieve all the data from those two columns.

However, when I launch the SSRS report,  reporting services is not retrieving all the data from those two columns. In other words, I get only a portion of the data contained in the two columns when I export the report to a PDF. 

One other thing, when I'm using Visual Studio buiding the report,  and I go to to the "Data" tab, run the process to retrieve the data, all the data comes back from the call to the store procedure. When I switch over to "Preview" mode, the data is cut short. When I export the report to PDF, the data is cut short as well. Now...when I export the report to TIFF, all the data is there. So is this a limitaion of PDF? A limitation of SSRS exporting to PDF which I absolutely have no control of?  

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, March 9, 2010 8:30 AM

All replies

• User-1734134863 posted

Hi,

As far as I know, if the text is too long, it will be shown in the second page when you export the report into PDF.

In addition, please check if you have set the cangrow property of the textbox to true.

I look forward to receiving your test results.

Wednesday, March 10, 2010 9:01 PM
  • User339897071 posted

The amount of data I had spaned multiple pages. I put the word "END" at the end of data to quickly identify if all the data was coming back.  The "cangrow" property is set correctly.

Actually as it turns out, I believe this was a function of memory. On my development laptop where I was designing / testing all this running in a Virtualized environment.  The server machne hosting SSRS runs on a half a Gigabyte of memory. SQL server was set just under a 1 Gb or memory.

When I deployed my solution to our production network and hence the server SSRS runs on which has several Gb of memory my problems dissapeared.  The PDF report displayed all the data I had input into the DB table. In fact I was able to successfully display 17 pages of data for crying out loud. So it seems to me, memory and or some configuration issues was at the heart of the matter that was dorking up my virutalized developement environment.

Thursday, March 11, 2010 7:42 AM
  • User1903567672 posted

there is a 32k characters limit to a text box, you will need some logic in your query to check field size and split them into multiple columns. I put the splitted field in special text box and use iif expression to hide the textbox if its empty.

I'm hitting another challenge, when it went above 64k you will need the 3rd column, but how can you grow the number of textbox dynamically?

Good luck.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 4:24 PM