none
Publishing game for Windows 8.1 - keyboard capability question

Question

• Hello.

Is it possible to publish game for Windows 8.1 (i mean would it pass certification) for Windows 8.1 which needs keyboard to play? This game is based on massive keyboard input - it wouldn't be playable with touch input. Can I publish such a game to store? (it's written in MonoGame so it's not a problem to build it for Windows 8.1) If so - can I set capability so only users with connected keyboard device could download it?

• Edited by fex_ Saturday, February 15, 2014 6:22 PM
    Saturday, February 15, 2014 6:18 PM

Answers

• Take a look at what the App certification guidelines say about keyboard input. A quick search finds the keyboard discussed in 6.13.4 and 6.13.7 (but I'd recommend doing your own check).

There is no way to prohibit downloading to only devices with hardware keyboards. This would be impossible to get right since the same device may have a keyboard now but not later (or vice versa).

--Rob

Monday, February 17, 2014 6:24 AM

All replies

• Using keyboard is no problem.

However it must also use mouse and touch input to pass approvals.

I came across this problem with my own games.

n.Wright

• Proposed as answer by nigelwright7557 Saturday, February 15, 2014 9:34 PM
    Saturday, February 15, 2014 9:34 PM
  • No.

All Windows Store apps must be usable via touch. If your game absolutely needs keyboard input you can publish it as a desktop application.

If you describe you game maybe people can suggest ways to make it work with touch.

An alternative is to simply recommend a keyboard but let users play with the on-screen keyboard if they want. That should satisfy the certification rules.

I'm a self-taught noob amateur. Please take this into account when responding to my posts or when taking advice from me.

Monday, February 17, 2014 5:52 AM
  • Take a look at what the App certification guidelines say about keyboard input. A quick search finds the keyboard discussed in 6.13.4 and 6.13.7 (but I'd recommend doing your own check).

There is no way to prohibit downloading to only devices with hardware keyboards. This would be impossible to get right since the same device may have a keyboard now but not later (or vice versa).

--Rob

Monday, February 17, 2014 6:24 AM