none
Failure to open MVC4 project in Visual Studio 2015 Update 3 (Update 2 works)

Question

• Our team works on MVC4 projects. Department rules require usage of latest version Visual Studio. So, I got MSDN subscription and installation of Visual Studio Professional 2015. Half of team got same product and with Update 1/2 and they support projects, but my and 3-6 members of our team during last few weeks got VS 2015 Update 3.

Problem: that is not possible to load projects under Update 3 and basically kills further development. Installations of Update 2is not available any longer. Googling problem with explicit entries to regedit for GUID {E3E379DF-F4C6-4180-9B81-6769533ABE47} and similar hacks did not help.

Please advise.
    Thanks,

Viktor

Wednesday, November 16, 2016 6:40 PM

All replies

• Hi Viktor,

Which version of Visual Studio do you used to create this MVC 4 project? And what's the detailed error message when you open your project?

I'm create a MVC 5 web application in Visual Studio 2015 Update 2 and downgrade the MVC package to version 4.0. Since in Visual Studio 2015, the default MVC version is MVC 5. Then I open this MVC 4 project in my another machine which installed Visual Studio 2015 with Update 3, it could be built fine.

Please create a MVC project in your Visual Studio 2015 with Update 3 and downgrade it to version 4. Then reopen it to check whether there has any problems.

If it could not downgrade to version 4 or could not be reopened, I'm afraid that there has any problem on your Visual Studio 2015 Update 3 installation. Please check it has installed the latest update which include the latest KB. You could check it from Tools -> Extensions and Updates -> Updates.

And please try repair your Visual Studio installation to check whether it could be fixed.

If the new project works fine, this issue should related to your MVC 4 project itself. I suggest you copy the original project files to the new project one by one, which could help us confirm the problem file that causes this issue.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 18, 2016 6:35 AM