Windows Authentication and Forms Authentication RRS feed

• Question

• User-1944297671 posted

Hello,

I need to have a root web site using Windows Authentication and subweb under it as Forms Authentication. But when I access the subweb it still ask me for the Windows Authentication.

Is this can be done. Please guide me.

Rgds.

Tuesday, November 23, 2010 9:25 PM

Answers

• User-1944297671 posted

Hi Sanjib,

I needed to publish a single page to non-intranet members with user name/pwd for a short period of time.

Actually I had set the right configuration. But there was one image which was by mistake being taken from the root web. So to display the image the sub web was asking windows authentication. I moved the image to sub web and it worked without windows authentication for sub web and with windows authentication for the root web. The problem is solved.

Thanks for all the replies.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 9:37 PM

All replies

• User-1083922933 posted

Hi

in the SubFolder try adding an new Web.Config file as follows :

<?xml version="1.0"?>
    <configuration>
        <system.web>
          <authentication mode="Forms">
            <forms loginUrl="YourLoginPage.aspx"/>
          </authentication>
        </system.web>
    </configuration>

if this helps please mark as an Answer

regards

Tuesday, November 23, 2010 9:39 PM
  • User-1340885213 posted

Please try to understand one thing : the Windows operating system has a role system built into it. This Windows security group system is an ideal system to use when you are working with intranet-based applications where you might have all users already in defined roles. This, of course, works best if you have anonymous authentication turned off for your ASP.NET application, and you have configured your application to use Windows Authentication. 

Now once you have already used Windows authentication in your root web.config having your users in adefined Role, how will you assign different Roles using Forms authentication?

Do you have to do it or just tested it for test's sake? Anyway, if you need more clarifications please let us know.

Best of luck.

Tuesday, November 23, 2010 9:50 PM
  • User-1944297671 posted

Hi Sanjib,

I needed to publish a single page to non-intranet members with user name/pwd for a short period of time.

Actually I had set the right configuration. But there was one image which was by mistake being taken from the root web. So to display the image the sub web was asking windows authentication. I moved the image to sub web and it worked without windows authentication for sub web and with windows authentication for the root web. The problem is solved.

Thanks for all the replies.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 9:37 PM