none
Maths Game W\Scoreboard V1 RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello everyone i have just finished my first 'Game' I put it in quotations because some people may say it's more of a quiz than a game.

--- Over view of game ---

It's basically a program that randomly generates 10 random addition,subtraction and multiplication questions and for each one you get right you gain a point and saves it locally.

--- What's in progress ---

. Version that uses graphics window

. On-line scoreboard

. More levels

--- Game Code ---

QJF184

--- Got any ideas drop a comment ---

--- Just Added ---

Hi everyone just quickly wrote up an infinity version of the game no where near complete but a good enough example.

--- Import Code ---

GCW048

~ Louis Dench

• Edited by Louis Dench Thursday, December 12, 2013 8:37 PM Update
    Thursday, December 12, 2013 7:20 PM

All replies

• Nice game - suggestions:

1] Use TextWindow.ReadNumber() rather than TextWindow.Read().

2] For subtractions make sure second value < first value (i.e answer is positive).

2] Perhaps add some sort of time limit to answer questions.

For an online scoreboard using extension there is LDNetwork.HighScore using LitDev extension.
    Thursday, December 12, 2013 7:32 PM
  • Thanks I'll be sure to add those features
    Thursday, December 12, 2013 7:40 PM
  • Hi litdev just letting you know about the infinite version i uploaded tell me what you think :)

~Louis Dench

Thursday, December 12, 2013 8:38 PM
  • I like it - faster and more interactive, if you do it with the GraphicsWindow you can show countdown timing or do multiple choice for some questions - pass a question - mix it up a bit.

Well done.

Thursday, December 12, 2013 8:52 PM
  • Hi litdev just asking what would be the easiest way to incorporate this in to graphics window?
    Sunday, December 15, 2013 9:45 PM
  • Hi Lous

Nice game. Good idea.

RE: GW version. Some thoughts...

To build this game into the GW I'd use a bit of a top down approach.

So consider the High Level parts and get them working. And decide/try out a bit what methods you'll use to do it.

You could textboxes or GW.drawText or both. DrawText would look neat or Shapes might be easy manipulate. Shapes.SetText.

It will an EDP so GW.KeyDown for numbers and the Enter key is an option.

Program.Delay  in a loop could be the Time b/w the RandomNumbers and the answer.

You could even put levels where after 5 correct answers the time limit gets faster or the numbers get bigger.

Monday, December 16, 2013 5:23 PM
  • So get the important bits working then build in all the details you want like colours and maybe sound effects
    Monday, December 16, 2013 5:40 PM
  • Jabba Jabba's suggestions are spot on - the only advantage of GW here is that it will look nicer and you can add more effects - but start with the basics of textbox or drawtext and see how these work and how you could use them.
    Monday, December 16, 2013 6:31 PM