none
How to change the Product Key of SQL Server 2012 Enterprise

Question

• Hi

I have installed SQL Server 2012 Enterprise edition using MSDN subscription. How can i change the product key from MSDN to retail product key which we acquired after installation.

can we do this edition upgrade or will get the an error because i am using top most edition?

Please help me with this 

Thanks

sharedata

Tuesday, July 09, 2013 5:02 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

Yes, perform an edition upgrade to change the product key.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Tuesday, July 09, 2013 5:29 PM
  • Thanks Alberto for quick reply

I am already using enterprise edition, can i still use edition upgrade to change the product key.

I tried to do it on a dev machine with sample key but it gave me an error

sharedata

Tuesday, July 09, 2013 8:17 PM
  • Hello,

That’s the procedure, even if the instance is Enterprise Edition. Use the following article:

http://www.mssqlgirl.com/upgrading-from-sql-server-2012-evaluation-edition.html

Alternatively, you can use the Command Prompt too.

Setup.exe /q /ACTION=editionupgrade /INSTANCENAME=<%INSTANCE_NAME% /PID=%NEW_PRODUCT_KEY> /IACCEPTSQLSERVERLICENSETERMS

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Tuesday, July 09, 2013 9:34 PM
  • Hi,

Is it possible to apply sql license from the command line after evaluation period is completed and sql service can’t be started ? When I try from command line after evaluation period is over and sql can’t started in the log file it keeps trying to sql and fails.

When I run through UI from sql installation center : maintenance edition upgrade and enter the key it works fine.

I am trying to upgrade from sql 2012 enterprise evaluation to standard. Please let  me know.

I am using following script in a batch file:

set /p key= <SqlLicense.txt

echo %key%

"%programfiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Setup Bootstrap\SQLServer2012\setup.exe" /ACTION=EditionUpgrade /INSTANCENAME=<named instance> /PID="%key%" /IACCEPTSQLSERVERLICENSETERMS /q /INDICATEPROGRESS >> sql.log

If I run it from sql installation center UI edition upgrade is successful but when I run using the setup.exe /action = EditionUpgrade

SQLEngine: --FacetOnlySupportedFeaturesUsedCheckSystem: Engine_OnlySupportedFeaturesUsedCheckSystem: Exception: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: TCP Provider, error : 0 – No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.). Rule failed.

Sco: Attempting to initialize script

Sco: Attempting to initialize default connection string

Sco: Attempting to set script connection protocol to NotSpecified

Sco: Attempting to set script connection protocol to NotSpecified

Sco: Attempting to connect script

Connection string: Data Source=.\<named instance>;Initial Catalog=master;Integrated Security=True;Pooling=False;Connect Timeout=300;Application Name=SqlSetup

Sco: Connection error code from SqlException is : 10061

Sco: Attempting to dispose script

Sco: Attempting to disconnect script

Current SqlServer Connection closed...

Thanks,

Syam

Wednesday, August 16, 2017 8:17 PM