http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/Windows-8-Modern-Style-App-Samples

Question

• Hello,

The samples located at http  :  //code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/Windows-8-Modern-Style-App-Samples

do not seem to open correctly in Visual Studio 2010, 2012 or 2013.  They all want to convert the project and they all fail.  The root cause of the failures is the .cxitems file.

The following error has occurred during XML parsing: File:
    Visual Studio 2013\Projects\Date and time formatting
    sample\C++\Shared\Shared.vcxitems Line: 125 Column: 10 Error Message: The node
    is neither valid nor invalid because no DTD/Schema declaration was found. The
    file 'Visual Studio 2013\Projects\Date and time formatting
    sample\C++\Shared\Shared.vcxitems' has failed to load.

The immediate goal is to have an proof of concept application that targets a Windows 8.1 tablet.

Many thanks!

James

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 1:14 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I have moved this thread to Building Windows Store apps with C++ forum for better support.

Best regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, April 9, 2014 7:06 AM
  • Hi JamesTheToolman,

Frist question, why you want to open the project at VS2010? Basically while developing the Windows Store App, you have to use VS2012 or VS2013 with a Win8.0 or Win8.1 Operation System or installed with Win8 SDK.

Second one, seems you are facing the error while opening the project "Date and time formatting sample", I download the package from http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/Date-and-time-formatting-2361f348 and I can see the screen as below

After the OK and several OK, I can open the project without any error

However if you want to make the Shared project available, I believe you should at least install Update2 for VS2013.

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Wednesday, April 9, 2014 8:24 AM
  • Hello James,

I was not planning to use VS2010, just trying to see if it was an install issue with the 2012 /2013 versions.

I am now only using VS2013 Update 2.  Following your directions, I downloaded the C++ version of the project, extracted it and opened the solution.  After the conversions I get the following:

C:\Users\Jim\Documents\Visual Studio 2013\Projects\Date and Time Formatting\C++\Windows\DateTimeFormatting.Windows.vcxproj : error  : Cannot find an instance of the Microsoft.Internal.VisualStudio.Shell.Interop.IVsSharedMSBuildFilesManager service.

C:\Users\Jim\Documents\Visual Studio 2013\Projects\Date and Time Formatting\C++\WindowsPhone\DateTimeFormatting.WindowsPhone.vcxproj : error  : Cannot find an instance of the Microsoft.Internal.VisualStudio.Shell.Interop.IVsSharedMSBuildFilesManager service.

C:\Users\Jim\Documents\Visual Studio 2013\Projects\Date and Time Formatting\C++\Shared\Shared.vcxitems : error  : Could not find file 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\VC\VCWizards\shared.vcxproj'.

I am able to create a Hello World application, so assume that the Visual Studio installation is correct.

Thanks,

James

Thursday, April 10, 2014 2:53 PM
  • To confirm, you are using Windows 8.1, correct?
    Thursday, April 10, 2014 5:26 PM
  • I don't want to bump this thread, but I'm getting the same error when trying to open the Bluetooth RFComm Chat example. I am using Windows 8.1, though is there a solution or workaround?
    Wednesday, July 9, 2014 7:07 PM
  • Which edition of VS 2013 are you using?

• VS 2013 Express for Windows
    • VS 2013 Express for Windows Desktop
    • VS 2013 Express for Web
    • VS 2013 Pro
    • VS 2013 Premium
    • VS 2013 Test Pro
    • VS 2013 Ultimate

Which OS are you using?

• Windows 7 SP1
    • Windows 8.0
    • Windows 8.1

Wednesday, July 9, 2014 9:18 PM
  • I'm currently using VS2013 Express and Windows 8.1 and getting this error.
    Thursday, July 10, 2014 5:15 AM
  • Which version of VS 2013 Express? for Windows, for Windows Desktop, or for Web?
    Friday, July 11, 2014 4:00 AM
  • VS 2013 Express for the Windows Desktop.
    Saturday, July 12, 2014 5:52 AM
  • VS 2013 Express for Windows Desktop does not support Windows Store apps.

You need VS 2013 Express for Windows and can download it from http://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/downloads#d-express-windows-8

--Rob

Saturday, July 12, 2014 6:54 AM
    Owner