none
check if office is installed in 64 bit Win OS using registry RRS feed

• Question

• I trying to check if office is installed using registry. I am able to verify for 32 bit OS using the following regkey

"..HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Common\InstallRoot" - Path

But how do i check when using a 64 bit OS? This key does not exist on a 64 bit OS for either 32 or 64 bit Office. (Checked on both Win7 & Win 8)

• Edited by CrazyPlanet Thursday, December 20, 2012 3:32 PM
    • Moved by Hila Shemer Monday, December 31, 2012 5:31 PM not related to apps for Office (From:Developing Apps for Office 2013)
    Thursday, December 20, 2012 3:31 PM

Answers

• Hi CrazyPlanet,

On 64-bit OS:

32 bit application is located in : "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Common\InstallRoot" Path.

64 bit application is located in: "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Common\InstallRoot"  Path,

The following is screenshots  on my machine (Win 8; 64 bit):

Tuesday, December 25, 2012 4:50 PM

All replies

• Hi, CrazyPlanet

Unfortunately, I'm not sure what the correct key is. This forum is mostly intended to help developers write apps using the JavaScript APIs for Office 2013. You should try asking at http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ to get your question answered.

Thanks!

-Michael

Saturday, December 22, 2012 12:11 AM
  • Hi CrazyPlanet,

On 64-bit OS:

32 bit application is located in : "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Common\InstallRoot" Path.

64 bit application is located in: "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Common\InstallRoot"  Path,

The following is screenshots  on my machine (Win 8; 64 bit):

Tuesday, December 25, 2012 4:50 PM
  • Hi CrazyPlanet,

On 64-bit OS:

Hi Learning Hard,

I had used these keys. But we had a scenario, where it failed in Win8, but with office 2013 - version 15.0. I checked the registry and InstallRoot did not have "Path" entry or any other. 

With Office 2010 - ver 14.0, the keys exist as expected.

Since am at home now i cant give complete details, will check when in office and post more details.

• Edited by CrazyPlanet Thursday, December 27, 2012 6:53 PM
    Thursday, December 27, 2012 6:52 PM
  • I had a check. And in Win8 (both 32 & 64 bit), the office 2013 version cannot be detected using this key...

...Microsoft\Office\14.0\Common\InstallRoot - Path    (Either ther is no InstallRoot Key or no Path Value in InstallRoot)

How do I detect if office is installed in Win8 systems?

Friday, December 28, 2012 9:16 PM
  • Hi CrazyPlanet,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN Forum.

Since you are using Office 2013 which is correspond to 15.0, look into Microsoft\Office\14.0\Common won't work.

As far as I know, InstallRoot doesn't exist in Office 2013 anymore. You'll need to check other registry key to detect whether Office has been installed. I've find out the appropriate forum for your question that is Office 2013 and Office 365 ProPlus - IT Pro General Discussions forum.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Quist Zhang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Sunday, December 30, 2012 12:13 PM
  • Hi CrazyPlanet,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN Forum.

Since you are using Office 2013 which is correspond to 15.0, look into Microsoft\Office\14.0\Common won't work.

As far as I know, InstallRoot doesn't exist in Office 2013 anymore. You'll need to check other registry key to detect whether Office has been installed. I've find out the appropriate forum for your question that is Office 2013 and Office 365 ProPlus - IT Pro General Discussions forum.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Quist Zhang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

thanks for the reply Quist.

Have already created a thread over there, yet to have it resolved

• Edited by CrazyPlanet Monday, December 31, 2012 12:05 PM
    Monday, December 31, 2012 12:05 PM