Upgraded to 2014 - Getting error RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have recently upgraded my SQL server to 2014 express from 2012. I coped out a database .mdf so that i could attach it after. It attaches ok and i can view the database inside SQL server no problem but whwn i make a data connection to it through visual studio 2013, i get this error-

During the Data connection wizard, i click "Test Connection" and it succeeds just fine. Im guessing it somethingto do with 2014 being Version 12 and my database being version 11.

How can i get this database connection to work?

Thanks

Nigel

Nacho is the derivative of Nigel "True fact!"

Tuesday, March 17, 2015 1:12 PM

Answers

• Hi NachoShaw,

According to your description, you fail to add a data connection through Visual Studio 2013 after you upgrade SQL Server 2012 to SQL Server 2014. Based on my research, the issue should be due to that the assembly Microsoft.SqlServer.management.sdk.sfc version 11.0.0.0 is not found by Visual Studio 2013.

The assembly is included in SQL Server 2012 Shared Management Objects, which has dependency on SQL Server System CLR Types component. To work around the issue, firstly, please install SQLSysClrTypes.msi and then install SharedManagementObjects.msi. Both components can be downloaded in the section "Install Instructions" of SQL Server 2012 Feature Pack download center.

For more information about the process, please refer to the article: http://sqlbeyond.blogspot.in/2012/08/vs-2012-error-could-not-load-file-or.html

Regards,
    Michelle Li

Wednesday, March 18, 2015 6:53 AM
  • 1. Please make sure that the service is up and running:

run -> Services.msc -> find the service named "SQL Server"

The instance name is in the brackets.

Is it running?
    What is the instance name?
    What is the machine name?
    * we will use the last two answers to connect to the server.

The SSMS is an external application, just like the Visual Studio or any other application. IT use connection string and we need first to make sure that you can use the SSMS. Next we will go back to the VS.

signature   Ronen Ariely
     [Personal Site]    [Blog]    [Facebook]

Tuesday, March 31, 2015 5:49 PM

All replies

• Hi NachoShaw,

According to your description, you fail to add a data connection through Visual Studio 2013 after you upgrade SQL Server 2012 to SQL Server 2014. Based on my research, the issue should be due to that the assembly Microsoft.SqlServer.management.sdk.sfc version 11.0.0.0 is not found by Visual Studio 2013.

The assembly is included in SQL Server 2012 Shared Management Objects, which has dependency on SQL Server System CLR Types component. To work around the issue, firstly, please install SQLSysClrTypes.msi and then install SharedManagementObjects.msi. Both components can be downloaded in the section "Install Instructions" of SQL Server 2012 Feature Pack download center.

For more information about the process, please refer to the article: http://sqlbeyond.blogspot.in/2012/08/vs-2012-error-could-not-load-file-or.html

Regards,
    Michelle Li

Wednesday, March 18, 2015 6:53 AM
  • Hi

Thanks for your reply.

I long for the day when applications are created that dont need a whole of of fixing / setting up / installing / reinstalling. I mean, this SQL & VS stuff is made by Microsoft, the inventor of windows........ Why cant they get it right lol?

I have visual studio 2013 installed

i have installed SQL server 2014

i uninstalled SQL server 2012 before i installed 2014 because it wasnt working

i installed the tools you suggested and now i get this-

I have displayed all of the SQL objects that have been installed. Today i am going to completely uninstall 2014 and every singe SQL reference and start from scratch (again). Personally i cannot see why a later version of SQL cannot open or connect to an earlier version of SQL server. They are both SQL servers made by the same people and data is data.

On a side note, why is the message section of this website the smallest window ever? the edit window is less than 10% of the screen and makes it very difficult when adding code / images. I'll practice my threads by writing on the back of a postage stamp lmfao...... Check out off of the dead white space from my screen

Nacho is the derivative of Nigel "True fact!"

Wednesday, March 18, 2015 10:52 AM
  • 1. Please make sure that the service is up and running:

run -> Services.msc -> find the service named "SQL Server"

The instance name is in the brackets.

Is it running?
    What is the instance name?
    What is the machine name?
    * we will use the last two answers to connect to the server.

The SSMS is an external application, just like the Visual Studio or any other application. IT use connection string and we need first to make sure that you can use the SSMS. Next we will go back to the VS.

signature   Ronen Ariely
     [Personal Site]    [Blog]    [Facebook]

Tuesday, March 31, 2015 5:49 PM