none
WES7 Autologon doesnt work with EWF and HORM ?? RRS feed

• Question

• Maybe this post should be moved to EEFs section??

Total boot time with autologon 45 seconds. (including BIOS time 17 sec)

Total time with HORM 35 seconds, but you have to click the button to log on.   grrrr

Am I missing something?

"control userpasswrods2" enable auto logon of the one user who is type admin and has a password, seems to work fine.

But when I enable HORM and hibernate the subsequent boots stop at the log on screen???

WES7 SP1 with no updates.  Compact Flash

hmmm it says "logged on" but still requires you press the user button..

I had to add Boot Environments\"Enhanced Write Filter Boot environment" then had conflict and had to uncheck "Windows Boot Environment" ?

Maybe Ill try and build another install.

I'm trying to meet a 30 sec boot for a customer request

Thanks, Richard

• Edited by Delphin25 Thursday, February 14, 2013 2:08 AM
    Wednesday, February 13, 2013 11:36 PM

Answers

• Not completly sure but I guess you miss the point in 'Power Options' - "don't require password".

Windows Embedded Developer and Scripting Guy //Germany (Preparing a blog about Windows Embedded Standard)

• Proposed as answer by P 'Bunny' E Friday, February 15, 2013 2:19 AM
    • Marked as answer by Delphin25 Thursday, June 20, 2013 8:07 PM
    Thursday, February 14, 2013 4:06 AM

All replies

• Not completly sure but I guess you miss the point in 'Power Options' - "don't require password".

Windows Embedded Developer and Scripting Guy //Germany (Preparing a blog about Windows Embedded Standard)

• Proposed as answer by P 'Bunny' E Friday, February 15, 2013 2:19 AM
    • Marked as answer by Delphin25 Thursday, June 20, 2013 8:07 PM
    Thursday, February 14, 2013 4:06 AM
  • Right you are sir !!!  Thanks a million!

33 seconds to cold boot from hitting power switch!!!

Now to find 3 more seconds...

So:

Step 1:

Run: control userpasswords2

uncheck "User must enter a user name and password..."

hit apply button

enter password twice

Step 2:

go to Control Panel \ Power Options

select from left panel '"Require a password on wakeup"

click "change settings that are currently unavailable"

select "Don't require a password"

Final Step:

then do hibernate Once for HORM and done.  priceless

Off topic:

KNARZ Ive seen some great posts by you, might you be able to offer some insight into performance:

Should I install on 1 partition or also have the mysterious 100MB system partion as well?

Ive been using 1 as I think for syspreps imagex deploys it seems reliable?

Is there a perfomance advantage to having a system partition?

I ask because I just did 2 installs almost identical and one ran smooth from the start the other one was slow as molasis at startup, runtime and shutdown until I disabled Windows search and Index servicing then did this EWF/HORM enable.

Now the first install was left running overnight as well???

Previously Industrial Automation template installs run great.  ie 45 sec boot, open and run everything reasonably fast,  10 sec shutdown.  However a "FULL"  "Application compatible" template install runs like crap for a couple days over a min to boot, everything opens and runs slow as hell, takes forever (several min sometimes)  to shutdown, then seems to get up to speed after time.  Im wondering if this is the "new" system just finishing all the indexing, fetching etc

Thanks

Thanks, Richard

• Edited by Delphin25 Thursday, February 14, 2013 8:46 PM
    Thursday, February 14, 2013 8:45 PM
  • Have you tried turning of some PnP items in the BIOS?

-Sean

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Friday, February 15, 2013 2:40 AM
  • About 1 or 2 partitions. I normaly use 1 partition, as this is easier to manage. - But I always ask the customer what he prefers (most don't care). - And sean is right. normaly you have some basic hardware where you first can disable all hardware you don't need if it's allowed or possible. As always start small become (if you have to) big.

If you don't need indexing, searching, don't pull it in the xml. ;)

Monday, February 18, 2013 7:10 PM
  • Hi Sean,

Nice to hear from you again.  :)  (I'm getting better at this)

Good idea! I did that and a couple other tweaks to Phoenix BIOS and got it down to 31.5 sec.  Thanks.  extra 1.5 sec +-  woot

Were asking the customer today if 31.5 sec is "close enough" to requested 30 sec. 

We know the CF is slow so an upgrade there might help $$.  We think its the bottleneck.

ie Transcend CF 160 Read: 50MB/s, Write: 50MB/s   vs  CF170 Read: 90MB/s, Write: 60MB/s  if HW supports it. $$

Intel Atom is decent, the next step up (Dual Core) is too expensive.  The Phoenix or  AMI BIOS meh, only choice on this PC104 form factor and our "preferred vendor of choice".  More memory would likely just slow down HORM with a larger map.  Running 2Gb now.

Next generation of hardware might be faster too.  Were looking into that.

Thanks

Oh I just saw your post KNARZ,

Thanks, that helps me rest easier!! I'll stick with 1 partition unless asked to do otherwise. Easier to manage. :)

Yeh when I'm making my image I have to run dependency check and it keeps adding indexing and Win search, so i just turn them off after install then capture.  Works for now until I can get better with ICE and answer files etc.  or I need to figure out what component thinks it needs it.

Thanks, Richard

• Edited by Delphin25 Monday, February 18, 2013 10:54 PM
    Monday, February 18, 2013 8:20 PM