none
AAD Connect fails to run

Question

• Greetings,

After moving our ADFS to another stand-alone 2008 R2 host(old one crashed out) we installed AAD Connect to keep up to date and close out our DirSync installation. Services installed and ran fine for the first day but stops running the MS AAD Sync service with the error 1069 "This service did not start due to logon failure". This is a self generated local account.  Net result we reinstalled the software (per troubleshooting recommendations) and it is happening again.  Changing the local password and updating the service account does not fix the issue.

Short term I am currently seeking a manual directory sync method. 

Long term - has anyone else seen this issue? I'm currently at 2 days without a sync (directory or passwords).

Thanks.

• Edited by SCanady Wednesday, March 22, 2017 8:38 PM
    Wednesday, March 22, 2017 7:42 PM

All replies

• Granted I still have an issue, the core problem was the account the service was using was not authorized as a "Log on as a Service" account. Our Global Domain Policy did an override on the local settings and kicked it out.  While updating that entry to an account with full rights it's crashing out due to failing to respond to the start command in a timely fashion.
    Thursday, March 23, 2017 5:38 PM
  • Hi,

Try look under Application Event logs. Do you see any error around the same time when you try to start the service? Do you see something like "The server encryption keys could not be accessed"?

Thanks,

Chun Yong 

Thursday, March 23, 2017 9:56 PM
  • Hi Chun,

No - for where I have things now the event errors indicate that the logon failure is due to not being able to locate the SQL database.  Sync services is accepting the password it has been provided, but I am not finding the database on the server. Odd as it did perform the initial sync and deltas for at least a day. 

Thank you for responding.

Thursday, March 23, 2017 10:23 PM
  • Can you share the event log (Id and msg) which indicate that it is unable to find the DB please?

Thanks,

Chun Yong

Friday, March 24, 2017 1:10 PM