none
Is it safe to link tables when the BE is running RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

At the brewery we run an Access database with 5 computers in a network. FE / BE.

Is it safe to link or update links in one FE when other users running their FE and the BE?

Best // Peter Forss Stockholm and Sigtuna GMT +1.00

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 9:10 PM

Answers

• Whats the benefits of late binding, where you "link" the external table on the moment you need it?

And how do you do it?

Hi Peter,

In Access I build a RAD-layer around the applications. This means that all aplications share a library database, that contains more than 95% of all functinality of the application. To give the applications their own character, I use meta data tables in each FE.

When some code is run from the application itself, these meta data tables are accessable, but when the code is run form the library database, I use late binding to access the meta data tables, instead of on forehand linking all meta data tables in the library database.

A second area where I use late binding is when I want information from special general applications, for instance about postal codes, or countries. When in an application an address is used, then this application has only to search for the BE of the Postcode application to find all further information.

Finally I have a "database of databases". In this application I can very easily inspect the meta data tables just by looping through the different applications and use late binding of the meta data tables. In this way I have a complete overview over all the applications (on this moment 80).

And then, how you do it? Instead of the sql-string:

"SELECT * FROM MyTable WHERE ..."

you can use:

"SELECT * FROM [;DATABASE=C:\Q\DbApp\MyApp.mdb].MyTable WHERE ..."

This, of course, can be generalized very easily.

Imb.

• Marked as answer by ForssPeterNova Saturday, December 19, 2015 5:57 AM
    Friday, December 18, 2015 10:50 PM
  • Yes, it should be. Access BEs are designed to accept connections at any time. Cheers!
    • Marked as answer by ForssPeterNova Thursday, December 17, 2015 6:18 AM
    Wednesday, December 16, 2015 9:40 PM

All replies

• Yes, it should be. Access BEs are designed to accept connections at any time. Cheers!
    • Marked as answer by ForssPeterNova Thursday, December 17, 2015 6:18 AM
    Wednesday, December 16, 2015 9:40 PM
  • Is it safe to link or update links in one FE when other users running their FE and the BE?

Hi Peter,

To be honest, I don't know. But I guess it is safe.

In the standard linking process the path to the external database is stored, and a check is done whether the table exists.

I use quite a lot of late binding, where I "link" the external table on the moment I need it. Until now I have not found any problems with that approach.

But why not try it, and see what happens?

Imb.

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 9:43 PM
  • Yes it is.  We have been using a FE/BE (sql server) for many years and we've linked new front ends or updated front ends and refreshed the links without any problems at all.  

John

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 10:44 PM
  • Hi Imb

Whats the benefits of late binding, where you "link" the external table on the moment you need it?

And how do you do it?

Thursday, December 17, 2015 6:21 AM
  • Thanks BD guy!

Thursday, December 17, 2015 6:22 AM
  • Thanks Johnboy!

Thursday, December 17, 2015 6:22 AM
  • Thanks BD guy!

Hi Peter. You're welcome! We're all happy to assist. Good luck with your project.
    Friday, December 18, 2015 5:44 PM
  • Whats the benefits of late binding, where you "link" the external table on the moment you need it?

And how do you do it?

Hi Peter,

In Access I build a RAD-layer around the applications. This means that all aplications share a library database, that contains more than 95% of all functinality of the application. To give the applications their own character, I use meta data tables in each FE.

When some code is run from the application itself, these meta data tables are accessable, but when the code is run form the library database, I use late binding to access the meta data tables, instead of on forehand linking all meta data tables in the library database.

A second area where I use late binding is when I want information from special general applications, for instance about postal codes, or countries. When in an application an address is used, then this application has only to search for the BE of the Postcode application to find all further information.

Finally I have a "database of databases". In this application I can very easily inspect the meta data tables just by looping through the different applications and use late binding of the meta data tables. In this way I have a complete overview over all the applications (on this moment 80).

And then, how you do it? Instead of the sql-string:

"SELECT * FROM MyTable WHERE ..."

you can use:

"SELECT * FROM [;DATABASE=C:\Q\DbApp\MyApp.mdb].MyTable WHERE ..."

This, of course, can be generalized very easily.

Imb.

• Marked as answer by ForssPeterNova Saturday, December 19, 2015 5:57 AM
    Friday, December 18, 2015 10:50 PM
  • Tnank you very very much Imb.

I guess this late binding in linking tables save some of the so called "tables handles" in the Jet Engine?

Saturday, December 19, 2015 6:06 AM
  • I guess this late binding in linking tables save some of the so called "tables handles" in the Jet Engine?

Hi Peter,

... at least not permanently.

Imb.

Saturday, December 19, 2015 8:42 AM