none
Installing NVIDIA Quadro 600 on WES 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I have an Adv

antech system running Windows Embedded Standard 7. I'm trying to install the driver for the Quadro 600 graphics card. I'm using 275.36-Quadro-win7-winvista-64bit-international-whql from a cmd.exe window. The installation fails. I haven't found a log file anywhere that says why. I've tried including many WES 7 packages but have not hit on a winner.

The install fails quickly. It almost looks like it doesn't recognize the WES 7 OS - but that's just a guess.

If I install Windows 7 on the same Advantech system, this install works.

I have successfully installed other drivers on the WES 7 system.

I posted to the NVIDIA site and verified with PNY technical support that I'm using the right driver.

Anyone else run into this?  Any ideas?

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 6:05 PM

All replies

• Did you build a WES7 image using the Application Capabilitiy template - which includes all the OS components?

Do you have the Windows Installer Service and .NET Framework packages in the image?

Are you using a custom shell or Explorer shell?

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - ProGuide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, WEPOS / POS for .NET Step-by-Step
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 8:34 PM
  • Thanks for your response, Sean.  BTW, your book has been very helpful. 

I did build with the Application Capability template and ran the installation utility. The NVIDIA driver did not install.  The utility does not crash.  It simply tells me that components didn't install.  I redid it again today to make sure I'd done it correctly previously.  Again, this same driver does install if I load Windows 7.

The final image I'm creating does not have the Windows Installer Service or .NET Framework packages.  It is a custom shell.

Kary

Friday, July 29, 2011 5:37 PM
  • Why don't you extract the driver and install them by hand or dism or something like that?!.

You can use procmon to monitor the installation on the WES system.
    "Mark/Propose As Answer" if you got one.
    Friday, July 29, 2011 7:34 PM
  • Just wanted to close this out.  We've decided not to use the NVIDIA card.

I got the following email from PNY:

"NVIDIA open a bug with Microsoft for this issue:

What is the problem?

Installation fails. Why?

The failure point is when we try to run a 64-bit process from a 32bit process as part of our installation. As we are running a 64-bit process from a 32bit process, we disable the redirection.

Hence, the repro steps look like

1.      Disable Redirection

2.      Call CreateProcess()

Why is this MSFT problem?

MSFT has posted couple of updates at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/gg316454. One of the update is "Update for Windows Embedded Standard 7 x64: KB982199”. The repro steps mentioned in the KB article 982199 clearly matches the repro scenario above.

Though the KB article does not mention that it applies to “Windows Embedded Standard 7”, but the updates page http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/gg316454 clearly mentions that it is related to “Windows Embedded Standard 7” 

What is the fix that we are asking MSFT for? 
                    Though MSFT has made hotfixes available for “Windows 7 Professional for Embedded Systems and Windows 7 Ultimate for Embedded Systems”, they are not applicable for “Windows Embedded Standard 7”. Hence, we are requesting MSFT to give us a fix for this problem for “Windows Embedded Standard 7”.

"

As far as I know, this hasn't been resolved.

Monday, December 5, 2011 4:35 PM
  • Aren't Windows 7 update good for WES7?

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - Pro Guide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, Pro Guide to POS for .NET
    Monday, December 5, 2011 10:28 PM