none
Multiple Kinect for Windows v2 Projects RRS feed

• General discussion

• Anyone else planning projects that use multiple kinects?

Although its possible (according to Microsofts Kinect 101 youtube video) I have seen rumors that this isn't ready yet and there may be the odd issue with a frame or two being corrupted. But that's not stopping me :)

I just received confirmation that 4 of these beauties are winging their way to me in the post so I'll be hitting the ground running by the end of the week.

If anyone else is working with multiples I'd love to connect to share my progress and get tips in return.

I'm planning on turning the 4 kinects inwards to a central point covering a 3m x 3m area from four sides. Then recording the depth and RGB feeds to record people in full 3D animated files. After merging the feeds i'll be uploading the result to Augmented and Virtual Reality scenes using my (fingers crossed) soon to arrive Oculus Rift DK2.

If you are keen to connect you can contact me through here or via DAVID at KIWIAR dot CO dot NZ

Happy Coding :)

Tuesday, July 15, 2014 9:22 AM

All replies

• I fired up two first time this morning! Some interference in some geometries but definitely useable.

The Beta doesn't support more than one device per PC (My devices are attached to separate PCs).

Because of USB 3.0 bandwidth requirements (far higher for Kinect 2 than the previous iteration) its unlikely that more than two kinects would be viable on off the shelf PC configurations.

Interesting to hear how your project turns out. 

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 11:06 AM
  • The public preview, as you mention, doesn't support multiple Kinect for Windows v2 sensors per PC.
    Just to be clear -- that is also the current plan for our final v2.0 release.

We realize that is a commonly requested feature that was supported with v1, but can't be part of our v2.0 plan.

We don't have a detailed plan we can share with you about future plans in this area...except that we understand and value the request.

It is possible, but not as convenient, to have several PCs in your solution and communicate across PCs as needed.

Thanks, Rob Relyea
    Program Manager | Kinect Team | @rrelyea

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 11:20 AM
  • Because of USB 3.0 bandwidth requirements (far higher for Kinect 2 than the previous iteration) its unlikely that more than two kinects would be viable on off the shelf PC configurations.

In its current form yes but if you only require one or two of the different sources then you don't need all information from the Kinect. Hard part will be telling the Kinect you only want select sources.

For example my project doesn't require tracking any skeleton models let alone 6. Something that I'm sure uses a lot of resources.

Monday, August 4, 2014 7:17 AM
  • The public preview, as you mention, doesn't support multiple Kinect for Windows v2 sensors per PC.

We realize that is a commonly requested feature that was supported with v1, but can't be part of our v2.0 plan.

We don't have a detailed plan we can share with you about future plans in this area...except that we understand and value the request.

It is possible, but not as convenient, to have several PCs in your solution and communicate across PCs as needed.

Good to hear this Rob, thanks!

Hopefully I'll be able to get a good chunk of this work done and hopefully can share it with you guys and the community to accelerate this tech :)

Monday, August 4, 2014 7:19 AM
  • Hi

The topic itself is really interesting. 

Im still curious why its not possible to connect more than Kinect v2 sensors to same computer (Besides SDK atm)? Understand that usb 3.0 bandwidth is the issue, but you could get more bandwidth from PCI-e 3.0 side with extenders. Multiple GPU's could handle the load, needed by kinects - but not sure about load balancers? is the support needed from Kinect SDK side or is it coming with drivers?

Something i forgot?

Regards

Rasmus K.

Tuesday, August 12, 2014 8:31 PM

Thanks, Rob Relyea
    Program Manager | Kinect Team | @rrelyea

The opportunity to use several Kinect v2 devices at the same pc would be amazing.

But in case that this option is restricted, how does this system work?: (Playoke)

http://www.playoke.com/en/news/single/datum////microsoft-kinect-2-kamera-eroeffnet-neue-moeglichkeiten-fuer-playoke/

If i am right, they are using six different devices to track up to 36 people at the same time and i can't believe that they are working with 6 different PCs at the same time.

What interests me is whether it is possible, with multiple Kinect devices to scan the same area without the devices interfering with each other. I think it is a problem if one of the kinect senors captures the light of a different device and "thinks" it is the one that is emitted by itself. Am i right with that?

Wednesday, August 13, 2014 11:19 AM
  • What interests me is whether it is possible, with multiple Kinect devices to scan the same area without the devices interfering with each other. I think it is a problem if one of the kinect senors captures the light of a different device and "thinks" it is the one that is emitted by itself. Am i right with that?

When I watched this video I believe he mentioned multiple Kinects and the interference is minimal with only a frame being dropped every now and then.

Some developers got around this with v1 by vibrating the devices at different frequencies. 

Saturday, September 27, 2014 4:52 PM
  • i was wondering if anyone has any more news on this. in terms of:

• multiple kinect2s on one pc (on separate pci usb3.0 controllers) supported by SDK (ie all kinect2s managed by a single application)
    • multiple kinect2s on one pc (on separate pci usb3.0 controllers) but each kinect2 managed by a separate process (or separate instance of the same application.
    • interference between multiple kinect2s (on separate pcs). i should imagine the more kinect2s there are, the higher the likelihood of a collision. At what point does it become unusable? And are there ready tools to avoid the garbage data (does the sdk return the garbage frame, or does it drop it realizing it's unreliable)

cheers.

Wednesday, December 3, 2014 9:11 AM
  • Hi!

I'm also  trying to running multi kinect2's in one computer. Have you realize it?  I'm very looking forward to your answer.

Thanks!

Tuesday, May 5, 2015 7:39 AM
  • Is there any update / experience?
    Monday, July 27, 2015 9:32 AM