Can Lab Management remove VMs from domain when destroying Environment? RRS feed

• Question

• We have Lab Management up and running and create a new environment about once a month and it is deleted shortly thereafter (1-2 weeks later). We have enabled the capabilities to add machines to a domain. When we delete the machines, the machine entries are not removed from the domain. Is there a way to enable this functionality so that when machines/environments are destroyed, they are also removed from the domain?
    Friday, October 5, 2012 7:09 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Jarrett,

I am sorry that in my opinion you are unable to achieve that. After you delete a lab environment, you can still reuse its virtual machines in another lab environment, so why would you like to remove them from domain?

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Monday, October 8, 2012 7:24 AM
  • Vicky,

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post. I should have mentioned that we use the Lab Management functionality provided by Lab Center in MTM 2010. When we create an environment through the "New Virtual Environment" functionality and later delete it, the Hyper-V machines are deleted in SCVMM/Hyper-V when we use the Delete functionality. We want to make sure that when the machines are deleted from Hyper-V/SCVMM that their domain entries are deleted as well so that we do not have to create low-priority tickets to clean this up that our IT group may not get to right away. We are trying to cut down the amount of work that our IT group does if it can be automated.

We are not using the "Compose Virtual Environment" functionality currently, which works as you have described.

Monday, October 8, 2012 12:59 PM
  • Hi Jarrett,

Thanks for your response.

I think maybe you should use the net computer \\ComputerName /del command to automatically delete one computer from the domain.

See this article for further information about that command: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb490699.aspx

In addition, I think your issue is more related to Active Directory services, so you can also considering re-opening one new case on the Directory Services forum.

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 1:51 AM