none
Hammock Tasks in MS Project 2007 not working in template file RRS feed

• Question

• We have created new templates for server 2007, but the hamock tasks are not saving properly.  If you save the schedule as a project file the hammoack tasks save and work correctly.  On the template file once you save and reopen the hammock task looses the link and saves as a must start or finish by date.  Is there a filed in the PWA setup that I am missing?  Please help.
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 7:05 PM

All replies

• Hi backflip,

When you say hammock task, are you referring to Paste Link functionality?

If so, I cannot recommend using this feature (others might disagree). This is OLE automation functionality and not a Project feature. Recalculating your project does not always update links. Using hammocks tasks, it is very easy to lose control of your schedule and the workload of the task.

That's probably also why hammock tasks are not saved correctly in a template (if you open the template to create a new project, a copy of the template is taken, but as all tasks get new IDs, the reference set by the Paste Link is not valid anymore).

I hope this helps,
    Hans

My EPM blog: Projectopolis
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 7:24 PM
  • What is your suggestion for hammock like functionality as best practice is to not assign resources at the summary level.  In short I am looking to assign a resource at a specific % for the summary lenth; primavera does this well with the hammock task, but I am not able to accomplish this with MS project.
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 10:47 PM
  • Personally I manage the duration of such tasks manually as I do not like any tool to automatically increase the duration, and hence the work. I like to have full control of my schedule.

So let's say I want to manage a task 'Project Management' that will run through the entire duration of my schedule, I first of all build the entire schedule. When it's finished, I change duration of the Project Management task to match the entire duration of the project and assign myself at for example 20%.

As the project is being executed, I regularly check whether the project will take longer (or shorter) and adapt the duration of the PM task. But it's something I do manually to maintain full control over the budget (work). A project will always shift during execution, and in both directions (a schedule is only an estimate). And I don't want my PM task to adapt to every small change as that would make it impossible to manage total work of the project.

I know it's not an exact solution to your initial question. But I just wanted to give you some insight in how I manage this kind of tasks.

I hope it helps,
    Hans

My EPM blog: Projectopolis
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 6:11 AM