none
looking for syntax overview of content controls in Word templates (eg Splitvalue) without VB or C# code RRS feed

• Question

• Recently, I’m working with word templates who get their data from Axapta / Dynamics AX. I get the data in XML files. The word templates have been made by our Axapta provider and so I’m not working from scratch but I change (sometimes just a bit) the existing templates.

My problem is learning the possibilities and the syntax I find in the Word template. Mostly, I can copy already existing parts, but sometimes I feel I could do more if I knew the whole syntax. My question : where can I find an overview of the syntax and the different commands  I see in the word template and when I look at the content control properties. Is there a book or manual you can advise. Is there a web site where I can get an overview of these commands.

Mind you : in the word templates I do NOT find any Visual Basic or C# code in the template. If I google for splitValue, this is what I get : VB or C#code but this is NOT what I need.

Thursday, November 7, 2013 8:12 AM

Answers

• Hi Gert

I'm not really sure what it is you're looking for. "SplitValue" and "exists" aren't syntax inherent to Word or content controls. It appears they might have something to do with the technology that's leveraging the content controls... Apparently, it looks at the strings in the Title and/or Tag property of a content control and performs specific actions based on them. But these are not part of Word, they're part of that other tecnology. Since I'm not familiar with either Axapta or Dynamics AX I can't guess which it might be that's using it, but your best bet would be to ask in a support venue for either or both.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Thursday, November 7, 2013 4:11 PM

All replies

• Hi Gert

I'm not really sure what it is you're looking for. "SplitValue" and "exists" aren't syntax inherent to Word or content controls. It appears they might have something to do with the technology that's leveraging the content controls... Apparently, it looks at the strings in the Title and/or Tag property of a content control and performs specific actions based on them. But these are not part of Word, they're part of that other tecnology. Since I'm not familiar with either Axapta or Dynamics AX I can't guess which it might be that's using it, but your best bet would be to ask in a support venue for either or both.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Thursday, November 7, 2013 4:11 PM
  • Hi Cindy,

sorry for my late reply. And you are quite right : the commands "SpliValue" and "exists" are not part of Word. Our supplier has given me the necessary information about these commands. The document mentions that the commands are in fact translations of XPATH expressions.  
    And thanks for your quick reply : it means that all the questions on these Microsoft Forums are well monitored. I'll surely be back for other questions. 

Thursday, November 14, 2013 1:01 PM