Visual studio solution , web app, class library project RRS feed

• Question

• User1997074450 posted
    I have my web application. The structure is solution then web app and class library with classes. I would like to modularize it or separate logically the code. Looking for opinion how to modularize or group class library further???
    Wednesday, July 17, 2013 7:44 PM

Answers

• User281315223 posted

This is largely a subjective question as it will ultimately be up to you and your judgement for how you prefer to organize your projects and the code within it. 

Typically, you'll have a Solution which will encompass your entire project and can consist of n other Projects. These Projects don't have to be Web Applications or proper "Applications" in the traditional sense but they can be things like Class libraries as you mentioned.

You might have multiple of these class libraries that each have a specific purpose (such as "Helper" libraries or other utilities) and by seperating them into seperate "Projects", you would be able to simply reference them and reuse the same code in multiple areas of your Solution.

Examples

If you are considering an N-Tier (or Multi-tier) architecture (which seperates all of your different concerns into seperate areas or projects) for an upcoming project, you may want to take a look at some examples of how N-tier architecture is normally implemented within .NET Applications.

You can find several different examples demonstrating this from the sites below :

I'm sure if you search around on one of the many open-source sites such as github and CodePlex, you will be able to find many more examples, which should provide you with a few more detailed examples of what more real-world applications might look like.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, July 17, 2013 7:51 PM