none
Where to get the latest DLLs RRS feed

• Question

• I downloaded the 2.0 SDK from the Kinect site but I cannot find where the latest DLLs for a WPF store app. The samples are old and require retargetting to 8.1 and reference the preview version of the kinect dll. WindowPreview.Kinect.

I tried installing from nuget but I get this error:

You are trying to install this package into a project that targets '.NETCore,Version=v4.5.1', but the package does not contain any assembly references 
    or content files that are compatible with that framework. For more information, contact the package author.

Wednesday, December 31, 2014 10:57 AM

All replies

• To utilize Kinect in a Windows 8.1 store app, the first thing you do is add a reference to the WindowsPreview.Kinect:

When you install the Kinect 2.0 SDK these references are retrieved from here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v8.1\ExtensionSDKs

The next thing you do is enable web cam and microphone.

If you don't see these options for your project, the error and issue you're getting is most likely because the project is not a Windows 8.1 Store XAML application. It appears as though your project is a regular .Net WPF application project type. Change your project type to a Windows 8.1 Store Xaml application

Sr. Enterprise Architect | Trainer | Consultant | MCT | MCSD | MCPD | SharePoint TS | MS Virtual TS |Windows 8 App Store Developer | Linux Gentoo Geek | Raspberry Pi Owner | Micro .Net Developer | Kinect For Windows Device Developer |blog: http://dgoins.wordpress.com

Wednesday, December 31, 2014 6:24 PM
  • Thank you for the reply.

I have setup my project as described above but I am having a problem when I add the kinect region.  As you can see in the screenshot the xaml shows an error: "The parameter is incorrect". It still builds but I lose design view in VS and Blend.

Any help would be great.

Thanks, Justin.

Monday, January 5, 2015 3:32 AM
  • Anybody else dealt with this problem.
    Tuesday, January 6, 2015 9:55 AM
  • Have you set a target bit format for the project. You must target x86 or x64 before the namespace values will resolve.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Tuesday, January 6, 2015 6:28 PM
  • Yes. I did that.

FYI: This problem can be duplicated with the Color Basic XAML store app and probably with all the other store apps.

On the controls basics store example I noticed that there is no KinectRegion on the button page. This is confusing since I thought that is what the KinectRegion was for. If not what is it and how/when do I use it?

Also I find it very frustrating that none of the store apps show the use of KinectRegion. Am Missing something?

Thursday, January 8, 2015 3:22 PM
  • If you follow the example for ControlsBasics, you will need to modify your app.xaml.cs to add the KinectRegion in the code behind as shown in the OnLaunched function:

// Create a CursorLayer that listens to KinectPointerPoints/GestureRecognizers
                    // and works with the affected controls.
                    KinectRegion = new KinectRegion();
                    KinectRegion.Content = rootFrame;

// Place the frame in the current Window, with a Kinect cursor layer + user viewer control
                    Window.Current.Content = KinectRegion;

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Thursday, January 8, 2015 7:19 PM