none
FSLogix VHDX Quotas RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Shortly after implementing WVD w/ FSLogix I had reports of users who were having strange issues in Outlook and Windows in general.

All signs pointed me to insufficient resources, however I found that my WVD hosts had plenty of space left.

I enabled logging via GPO, and found that all of the effected users were hitting a quota at 30GB.

Screenshot: http:// aldrid.ge/ assets/images/post-images/azure/wvd/fslogix-quota-error.png (please remove the spaces after the slashes, account is not verified :( )

My VHDX is set to dynamic size allocation.

I had never setup quotas, and could not find any settings to disable the quotas in the ADMX template or in the Windows registry configuration reference.

I had worked around the issue by manually extending the VHDX Files using DISKPART from CMD, but is there any way I can change this quota value either via GPO or registry?

Please let me know if you need me to provide any additional info :)

Wednesday, November 6, 2019 7:39 AM

All replies

• Hi Nick,

Afraid I can't answer your question, but I feel your pain as I'm up against the same problem.  There is a reg key to set the maximum size at X MB, but if you do that, it just creates a VHD file at that size even if you've got nothing in it.  I could do without having to find quite that much storage... 

I'm trying to raise a support ticket for it, but that is probably being ambitious as they seem to be struggling with support lately.   Maybe I'll be lucky.   If I get something useful I will update both this and my own post so others can find it in future.

I don't suppose you could post up your diskpart command?   I can probably live with manually expanding it for the handful of users who need >30GB cached mail.

Thursday, November 7, 2019 3:44 PM
  • 30gb is the default limit for VHD/VHDX files. This can be overridden for the Profile and/or Office containers via a SizeInMBs registry key or the corresponding GPO setting. It won't change the size of existing containers, but will apply to any new containers created going forward.

That being said, if you find many users reaching a 30GB quota, it may be worth researching why. For example, in our environment, we are limiting Outlook Cached Mode to 1 month of e-mails and don't allow caching of shared mailboxes; this helps keep profile size down considerably, and so far we haven't had anyone come close to the default 30GB limit.

I'm unable to post links since this is a newly created MSDN Forums account, but Microsoft has excellent documentation on FSLogix registry keys for both the Profile and Office containers that shows how to change this default limit of 30GB.

Monday, November 11, 2019 8:57 PM
  • Thanks galperinm.

I've seen the reg key in question, but it's not quite that simple.   By default, the VHD file is only as large as the data within it.   If you use the SizeInMBs key, that is no longer the case.   If you set SizeInMBs to be 50000, then rather than leaving the VHD as small but with a size limit of 30GBs, it just creates a 50GB file immediately.

Caching only a month is a solution of sorts, but there's another catch to that, if you need to cache shared mailboxes (which I do, as performance is abysmal otherwise) then you can only see the contents of the cache.   In a shared mailbox, there is no link at the bottom of the list that says 'click here to view more on server'.   So by caching only a month, you basically block access to anything in the shared mailboxes that is older than that.

Tuesday, November 12, 2019 4:44 PM
  • I am unable to see your screenshot but, if I am understanding the problem correctly you have users that are running into issues after they hit the default max vhd size of 30GB.  Assuming that I am talking to the correct issue let me explain.

A Dynamic VHD is built with a max size set a creation time.  The dynamic nature of the VHD is that although it could grow up to 30GB it will not allocate all 30 GB up front, and will grow as needed up to the max size.

FSLogix has a default max VHD(x) size of 30 GB.  What you will notice is that right after container (profile or Office container) you will have a very small VHD(X), generally smaller than 500MB (of course could change based on default profile configuration).  This is not really a quota, just a full disk.  You can modify this default setting using the SizeInMBs setting https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/fslogix/.  This could be set using the registry inside of your image or via GPO.  Setting the SizeInMBs to a larger size, while still leaving the IsDynamic setting as 1 will leave you with a dynamically growing disk that can grow up to a larger size.

NOTE: This will only affect newly created disks.  Disks that already exist must be manually expanded in order to change the size.

I will work with our PM group to add further clarification to the documentation.

I apologize for the confusion!

I will verify that setting the size does not force a full allocation.  If that is the case as reported in other comments that is a bug, and I will get it fixed.

• Edited by Brian Mann1 Tuesday, November 12, 2019 7:48 PM
    Tuesday, November 12, 2019 7:42 PM
  • I am unable to see your screenshot but, if I am understanding the problem correctly you have users that are running into issues after they hit the default max vhd size of 30GB.  Assuming that I am talking to the correct issue let me explain.

A Dynamic VHD is built with a max size set a creation time.  The dynamic nature of the VHD is that although it could grow up to 30GB it will not allocate all 30 GB up front, and will grow as needed up to the max size.

FSLogix has a default max VHD(x) size of 30 GB.  What you will notice is that right after container (profile or Office container) you will have a very small VHD(X), generally smaller than 500MB (of course could change based on default profile configuration).  This is not really a quota, just a full disk.  You can modify this default setting using the SizeInMBs setting https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/fslogix/.  This could be set using the registry inside of your image or via GPO.  Setting the SizeInMBs to a larger size, while still leaving the IsDynamic setting as 1 will leave you with a dynamically growing disk that can grow up to a larger size.

NOTE: This will only affect newly created disks.  Disks that already exist must be manually expanded in order to change the size.

I will work with our PM group to add further clarification to the documentation.

I apologize for the confusion!

I will verify that setting the size does not force a full allocation.  If that is the case as reported in other comments that is a bug, and I will get it fixed.

I did test this, and was not able to replicate the issue described where changing the default size forces a full allocation.  The disk that I tested with was still dynamic.  If you are experiencing this issue please get me logs.  I would like to see what is different.
    Monday, November 18, 2019 10:00 PM
  • I did get to your screenshot.  This is indeed a MAX VHD size issue.  You can still opt for a dynamic VHD or VHDX and pass a large SizeInMBs.  It will still treat the disk as dynamic as long as IsDynamic = 1 (which is the default).  The only way that it will allocate the entire volume up front is if IsDynamic = 0.   Again, even a dynamic disk has a max size it simply does not pre allocate the entire thing and will dynamically grow up to that max size.  Here is a link to the documentation for reference.  Again if you are seeing an issue here that is contrary to what I have described please let me know, and send me some log files.

Here is an article with some guidance on how to expand an existing VHD.  https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/f0ecc72e-78e8-48a9-99e6-e159f87f2cef/how-to-resize-the-current-vhdx-in-fslogix 

We could investigate a feature enhancement request to simplify this process, and make it less difficult for the admin to accomplish.  We do work from User Voice for prioritizing new features.  If this is something you would like to see you should voice it there, and others could upvote it to help get it higher on the backlog.  Here is the link.  https://windowsvirtualdesktop.uservoice.com/forums/921289-fslogix

• Edited by Brian Mann1 Monday, November 18, 2019 10:23 PM
    Monday, November 18, 2019 10:22 PM