none
Corrupt Profiles - Reason? Identify RRS feed

• Question

• hi all

we deployed fslogix profile container now for 830 Users. Every day we have about 1-3 corrupt profiles. sometimes fslogix can resolve the issue by it self, so it creates a new profile container with the old data, and delete than the corrupt profile. but most of time the corrupt vhdx file stay in the SID User Folder. So i must remove / delete it manualy. for me it is not clear what can be the issue that a profile vhdx file gets corrupt. where can i show why a profile is corrupt? i look into logs from fslogix-profile logs, but here you can only see that it can not read the data in the vhdx file, so it is corrupt, and create new one. what is the root cause of that behaviour?

regards

franco

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 7:44 AM

All replies

• What do you mean by "corrupt"?

1. The VHDX cannot be attached

2. The files inside the VHDX are corrupted

3. The Profile format is corrupted

Something else?

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 5:46 PM
    Owner
  • When FSLogix auto-resolves a bad disk like this, it is generally because the registry data for the users hive was being redirected to the local volume, and then failed to be copied back to the user profile. E.g., if the computer crashes and FSLogix doesn't have a chance to perform its work on logout.

There is a registry DWORD value located at 'HKLM\Software\FSLogix\Profiles' named 'DisableRegistryLocalRedirect'. If you are on a higher OS level than Windows 7, you can create that value and set it to 1. This will force FSLogix to keep the NTUSER.dat and associated files in the Profile container, and should result in a reduction in corrupt profile disks.

(There is a KB discussing this value, but I can't find it right now.)

Thursday, August 15, 2019 7:20 PM
  • Registry corruption causing Temp profiles

Explains about preventing registry corruption, regarding Temp files.

Preventing Temp Profile Issues:

This a setting that may be used to prevent registry corruption which causes users to log in with a profile in C:\Users\TEMP.

HKLM\SOFTWARE\FSLogix\Profiles:  DisableRegistryLocalRedirect DWORD = 1

Please Note:

• This setting should NOT be used on Windows 2008 because of the potential for a deadlock, but there are no known issues with any other Windows version. 
    • This setting will not fix any users who already have corrupted reg files (those will have to be recreated), but it should may prevent future corruption.
      (If there any more TEMP profiles created after setting this registry setting, please send your full logs from the
      FSLogix Support Tool to FSLogix technical support to investigate further.

Fixing Temp Profile Issues:

This is likely the file that needs to be recreated if a user gets a TEMP profile for no apparent reason.

1. With the user LOGGED OFF, have an administrator attach their VHD in disk manager.
    2. Assign a drive letter to the attached disk.
    3. In explorer browse the user's disk to AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows and delete the UsrClass.dat file
    4. In disk manager remove the drive letter from the attached disk and then detach the disk.
    5. Have the user log on and see if:
      a) Their profile goes to C:\Users\%username% as it should
      b) The UsrClass.dat file is recreated in their profile at AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows
    Thursday, August 15, 2019 9:13 PM
    Owner
  • it is point 2. but i think i can identify the problem now. it looks like, that Citrix UPM is also active on that users, because in Citrix Director i was able to click on "Reset Profile". That you can not when it is a right running fslogix profile, than this button is not active. so it looks like that i have some users who have both profile solutions active, what is bad. i must identify why user have the Citrix UPM active.

regards
    franco

Friday, August 16, 2019 7:57 AM
  • Is this the recommended setting now?  What's the default of this setting on version 2.9.7117.27413?

I can't find it in the documentation?  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/fslogix/profile-container-configuration-reference

Thank you.

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 3:30 PM
  • Is this the recommended setting now?  What's the default of this setting on version 2.9.7117.27413?

I can't find it in the documentation?  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/fslogix/profile-container-configuration-reference

Thank you.

The default value of the setting in the referenced release (July 2019) is 1. This is the best settings for all OS levels after Server 2008 R2. Users running 2008 R2 can set it back to 0 if they encounter issues with hanging.
    Tuesday, August 20, 2019 7:19 PM

Thank you.

The default value of the setting in the referenced release (July 2019) is 1. This is the best settings for all OS levels after Server 2008 R2. Users running 2008 R2 can set it back to 0 if they encounter issues with hanging.

So, if I have nothing in the registry for DisableRegistryLocalRedirect, I can assume it's set to 1?  

Thank you.

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 5:09 PM

Thank you.

So, if I have nothing in the registry for DisableRegistryLocalRedirect, I can assume it's set to 1?  

Thank you.

Same here on v2.9.7117.27413 and v2.9.7205.27375 - no entry in the registry, so I'd like Microsoft to confirm this, as well.

Edit: Actually, I take it back. The value is not in HKLM\SOFTWARE\FSLogix\Profiles, but in HKLM\SOFTWARE\FSLogix\Profiles\Sessions\GUID. This applies to both versions I referenced above.

• Edited by NTP66 Wednesday, October 16, 2019 2:55 PM
    Wednesday, October 16, 2019 2:48 PM