TF14098: Access Denied: While Creating a Branch needs read permission(s) irrelevant of being an Administrator or Contributor RRS feed

• Question

• An Administrator created a QA Branch from a Main level, Lead attempted to create a branch from the QA Branch and got the above error.  Two (2) other TFS Administrators have attempted to do the same and we all get the same error:

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Thursday, May 17, 2012 8:38 PM

All replies

• Hi YVinueza,

Thank you for your post.

Please check whether "Check Out" permission is "Deny" for $/E-Billing/QA branch. Set Check Out permission allow, users who have this permission can check out and make a pending change to items in a folder. Examples of pending changes include adding, renaming, deleting, undeleting, branching, and merging a file.

You can right click the branch, choose Security, check "Check Out" permission.

Helps the information help.

Lily Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Friday, May 18, 2012 5:58 AM
  • Thanks Lily for the Reply..

As a Project Collection Admin we have all the permissions on Team Project,Main(Branch)  QA(Branch) and all branches..

However we are having issues only with  this Team Project and branching looks like this..

Please let us know what could be the possible solution/workaround for  this issue..

Thanks,

Masood.

Monday, May 21, 2012 6:58 PM
  • Hi Masood,

Are you YVinueza or YVinueza's colleague?

If what you post is not the one YVinueza post, it just has the same error message, i suggest you post a new thread for the new question. Same error message may caused by different reason, open a new thread may better fix the issue you post, and this will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well.

If what you post and what YVinueza post is the exactly same one, you can try to use tf branch command line to do branch. If the issue still exists, please post the detail event log.

Thanks,

Lily Wu [MSFT]

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 9:31 AM
  • Sorry to Confuse you but we both are in the same team and I work for her..

Actually Tf branch command worked for us..But wondering why it wont let us to create the new branch from it. However we were able to perform Merge operation on those branches from Visual Studio . My thinking is that its not hitting the backend SQL to get the data requested when I do it from VS 2010 UI..

Is there a solution/fix to this so that others(apart from TFS Admins) can work and create branches from VS UI as before.

Thanks,

Masood. 

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 7:31 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your question.

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Best regards,

Lily Wu [MSFT]

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 9:05 AM
  • Could you double check and confirm you used same login account using IDE and command line to branch?

Typically, the error indicate the user belongs to a group (other than admins group, also belongs to contributors, etc.) that doesn’t have enough permission on a subfolder. It could be a subfolder doesn’t inherit the permissions from parent folder.

You could run recursively output of TF.exe PERMISSION command on the user account and examine closely the output.

Another thing you could also do is to clean IDE client local cache to make sure there is no corrupted cache information getting in the way:

Delete all content in the folder: C:\users\[login]\appData\Local\Microsoft\Team Foundation\3.0\cache

Trevor Hancock (Microsoft)
    Please remember to "Mark As Answer" the replies that help.

Friday, May 25, 2012 6:32 PM
  • YVinueza/Masood, do you still need help on this?

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 2:15 PM
  • Thanks for the Reply Trevor..

I'm pretty sure about the permissions and its not just one single user all the others including me(TFS Admin) cannot perform any operations on those branches..However the issue is only with one single Team Project.

I have tried the other option as well by deleting all the content in the Cache location but no luck.

So we are still looking for a best solution to perform branching from UI as we dont want the Application Team leads and other users to do the Branching from Command Line..Please let me know if you still need any more Information on this.

Thanks,

Masood.

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 3:29 PM
  • From a support perspective this is really beyond what we can do here in the forums. It's looking like we need to do some 1:1 support here via Live Meeting, reviewing output of various traces and commands, etc. If you cannot determine your answer here or on your own, consider opening a support case with us to do that. Visit this link to see the various support options that are available to better meet your needs:  http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone.

Monday, June 4, 2012 8:54 PM