none
Item Read / Unread Event RRS feed

• Question

• Is there anyway to get Outlook 2010 to fire an event when an item is marked as read / unread at either the application object level or folder level?
    Friday, August 24, 2012 9:57 AM

Answers

All replies

• try PropertyChange 
    Friday, August 24, 2012 11:51 AM
  • PropertyChange is and event on MailItem, not Application or Folder.
    Friday, August 24, 2012 3:13 PM
  • Items.ItemChange event on the parent folder will fire.

Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
    http://www.dimastr.com/redemption
    Redemption - what the Outlook
    Object Model should have been
    Version 5.3 is now available!

Friday, August 24, 2012 4:34 PM
  • It does appear to fire but not always as quickly as you would think. If you mark or unmark many items in one hit within Outlook there can be a considerable delay before the event for a specific item fires. You tend to get a smallish group of items firing first, then a delay of a good few seconds before the rest fire. If you do a stupid number of items the events never seem to fire (I have tested around 4000 being marked as read).

Also it is worth noting that the event seems to fire on occasions where nothing has apparently changed, a good example is marking a set of 3 unread items as read. The event tends to fire for all three as you would expect but then fires again for one of the abitary three items for no apparent reason.

For my purposes I can work around this behaviour(s) so Dmitry's answer is a good start point for my issue.

Hope this helps.

Thursday, August 30, 2012 9:11 PM
  • MAPI events are not guaranteed to fire at all. They can and are dropped under heavy loads. You should never rely on any events - they were designed for the UI purposes alone and should not be used for anything else.

You can use the events as a hint that something needs to be done sooner rather than later, but you should not rely on them exclusively.

Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
    http://www.dimastr.com/redemption
    Redemption - what the Outlook
    Object Model should have been
    Version 5.3 is now available!

Thursday, August 30, 2012 11:08 PM