none
WIA Image Capture RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to use the WIA 2.0 and take a picture with a webcam. I am running vista. The problem is, everytime it hits the ShowSelectDevices it blows up. It doesn't show any webcams in the device list. Is there something different with Vista that I overlooking? The camera is hooked and installed right. I can use it with Messenger and the software that came with it.
    Friday, April 13, 2007 6:47 PM

All replies

• Anybody? I haven't gotten anywhere with this!
    Monday, April 16, 2007 3:52 PM
  • I am having the same difficulties! 

Logitech does not support WIA under Vista (so none of the logitech webcams will work)!

I have a call into MS support about the VX-3000 that I bought but they have not provided me with an anwer yet.  If I find out anything I'll be happy to post.

Sunday, April 29, 2007 8:16 PM
  • Yes, please let me know. I have been working on something else, but I have to figure this out eventually. Let me know if you figure out anything and I will do the same. Thanks!
    Monday, April 30, 2007 1:59 PM
  • I'm having the exact same problem using both a Logitech QuickCam Pro 5000 as well as a Microsoft LifeCam VX-3000.  Please let us know what you find out! :-)

Thanks so much!
    Tuesday, May 1, 2007 5:36 PM
  • I gave up on MS support, they never provided me with an answer.  I brought the webcam back and bought a cheap digital camera.  It works fine with WIA!

sorry to not provide an anwer but at the end of the day I just needed to get a picture into a database.

Saturday, May 12, 2007 4:59 PM
  • I am having the same exact problem with a Microsoft LifeCam Vx3000. The LifeCam does not appear in Scanners&Cameras however it works correctly with other software (i am guessing other software is not using WIA).

//On my pc manager.DeviceInfos.Count is zero eventhough LifeCam

DeviceManager manager = new DeviceManagerClass();

if (manager.DeviceInfos.Count>0)

device = dialog.ShowSelectDevice(WiaDeviceType.UnspecifiedDeviceType,true,true);

I guess that means Microsoft LifeCam drivers do not support WIA. I would have expected them to.

Friday, August 10, 2007 6:53 AM
  • Could Flamingo Kid please tell me which cheap digital camera he used with WIA?

Saturday, August 11, 2007 4:36 AM
  •  

It does not work with the Logitech QuickCam IM Plus either.

My daughter is in College and It frustrates me that she can't see us!

DLRB@charter.net

Microsoft get with the program!

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 7:19 PM
  • I have windows XP and Yahoo Messenger does not work with my new Logitech QuickCam IM Plus either...

I guess the webcam go's back to the store.. = (

And I'll have to find a different brand... Someone Please e-mail me what Brand works!

DLRB@charter.net

Thanks from Debra

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 7:29 PM
  • Taking pictures with a web cam isn't supported in WIA running on Vista (only on XP). Here is the text and link from MSFT:

Video Content Support

Video content support is removed from WIA for Windows Vista.   The effect is video content on your device will not appear in WIA applications running on Windows Vista. To access video content from your device, we recommend migrating your applciation to use the WPD API.

http://blogs.msdn.com/wpdblog/archive/2007/02/13/migrating-from-wia-to-wpd.aspx

Saturday, November 10, 2007 10:42 PM