none
How can I force user to enter metadata first when creating a new document RRS feed

• Question

• SharePoint 2016

I want to force users to get the New Form every times they create a new document. I know that document library only have Edit Form and View Form, but when you use the upload button to upload a single document, you get a New Form after you have selected the file to upload. So the form must be there somewhere...

• Edited by OnaNy Friday, July 5, 2019 6:27 AM
    Thursday, July 4, 2019 1:15 PM

All replies

• Hi OnaNy,

By default, we cannot find New Form in the library.

Then we can find the New Form in the SharePoint designer. In the Forms section, you will see three forms “DispForm.aspx” “EditForm.aspx” and “Upload.aspx”.

The “Upload.aspx” is the New Form.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Friday, July 5, 2019 4:50 AM
  • Thank you Sara,

I see now that the upload document use the EditForm after you chose the file to upload. So there is no NewForm anywhere.

My challenge is to create a new document with a template and not upload a document. The users have great difficulty to enter mandatory metadata to the documents. Especially in Edge and Chrome where the document always opens in Word Online, the document gets a dummy name and is checked out because of missing mandatory columns.
    So what I need is an easy way to create new documents with a template where users can enter metadata first so that documents always is checked in with correct metadata.

Does anyone have a good solution for this, without coding? We are using Office 2016, so the DIP is missing. Using the File -> Properties is not a good solution. And I wonder how to handle this in Word Online?

• Edited by OnaNy Friday, July 5, 2019 6:30 AM
    Friday, July 5, 2019 6:05 AM
  • Hi OnaNy,

I am afraid that we cannot achieve your requirement.

In SharePoint 2013, it will upload the document and then enter the metadata of the document.

It is by design.

The workaround for the issue, you could create a column which requires to contain information. Then it will pop up the form to enter the metadata of the document after uploading the document.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Friday, July 5, 2019 7:26 AM
  • Hi OnaNy,

If the reply is helpful to you, you could mark the reply as answer. Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Monday, July 8, 2019 7:23 AM
  • Sorry Sara, this was not helpful. My issue is not uploading a document, but creating a new one from a template.

I hope that DIP (Document Information Panel) or a similar solution will be implemented in Office Word (and Online). Now it's a very bad UX.

Wednesday, July 10, 2019 6:07 AM
  • You want to make a template document? You can create a content type for it and link it to a document. But you'll still have your issue with metadata, users can still just cancel out of the form as the document will need to be uploaded to SharePoint first.

As mentioned before you could set fields to be required but again users could just click the X and that's that. The document will be in the library with no metadata.

If this is helpful please mark it so. Also if this solved your problem mark as answer.

Wednesday, July 10, 2019 7:47 AM
  • Hi OnaNy,

If the reply is helpful to you, you could mark the reply as answer. Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Friday, July 12, 2019 8:24 AM
  • Not helpful.

My issue was not to use a template, but to help users enter mandatory metadata when createing new document from a template.

Monday, July 15, 2019 10:08 AM
  • Hi OnaNy,

By default, we cannot enter mandatory metadata before creating new document in SharePoint 2013.

It is by design.

The workaround for the issue, we can create a workflow in the document library to enter the metadata when creating new document.

In the workflow, we can set the value of the necessary columns. And set the start options of the workflow as “Allow this workflow to be manually started” and “Start workflow automatically when an item is created”.

There is a similar post.

https://sharepoint.stackexchange.com/questions/100548/force-users-to-enter-document-metadata-before-creating-a-new-document-in-sharepo

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 2:06 AM
  • I've searched a bit more about this and it seems that the old DIP is now replaced with Word Sharepoint Property Panel (WSPP) and that this will work in Word 2016 together with Sharepoint 2016. But I only make it work in Sharepoint Online. Does anyone know why it doesn't work in SharePoint 2016? As far as I have found, some have made it work in Sharepoint 2016 as well.

The panel is there, but I only get an error message "No SharePoint properties found".

If I could make this work, it would be a great help!

• Edited by OnaNy Wednesday, July 17, 2019 5:05 AM
    Wednesday, July 17, 2019 5:03 AM
  • Hi ,

You Have to make every filed as Required in fields Creation for Document List

Nour

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 5:09 AM
  • Hi OnaNy,

In your previous post, which column type did you use in the document library and get the error message "No SharePoint properties found" in the word 2016?

You could create the new document and enter the properties of the document in the word.

Go to the library->click New document in the ribbon->In word 2016, click File->Info->Properties->show all properties->You will see the all properties of the document including the library columns.

More reference:

Document Information Panel is Gone in Office 2016 – What to use instead.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 9:33 AM
  • Hi Sara,

I do not have trouble with the properties on the Information page, I want to use the Property Pane which appears next to the document content because this is more visible.

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 10:20 AM
  • Hi Nour,

I have tried to set the fields to required, but I get the same error.

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 10:22 AM
  • Hi OnaNy,

I encountered the same issue as yours, when I open the document which is stored in sharepoint 2016 in word 2016, it displays the “No SharePoint properties found” in the right panel.

I suggest you could submit a feedback for the issue about office 2016.

Then I suggest you could install office 2019 to avoid the issue.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Thursday, July 18, 2019 4:38 AM
  • Hi OnaNy,

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Friday, July 19, 2019 8:52 AM