Power Pivot DAX Function for CODE RRS feed

• Question

• In Excel there is a formula CODE that converts a character to its ASCII number. In some of the internet pages for list of DAX functions, CODE is listed as a valid function. But when I enter the formula CODE in power pivot it doesn't show up as a valid function in the pop up list.  What is the equivalent DAX function for CODE ?
    Thursday, March 19, 2015 12:58 AM

Answers

• Meaning CODE() is not a DAX function, currently.

It was listed on a third-party site, but not on any Microsoft sites (or help) so the third party site must be mistaken. Perhaps they listed CODE() since it is an Excel function, and they assumed it would be supported in DAX as well.  The site was powerpivot - info . com

• Edited by Greg Gilman Tuesday, April 7, 2015 4:52 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Michael Amadi Friday, April 17, 2015 7:27 PM
    • Marked as answer by Michael Amadi Thursday, April 30, 2015 6:02 PM
    Tuesday, April 7, 2015 4:47 PM

All replies

• I don't see a similar function for DAX in the Microsoft documentation on MSDN. Do you remember where you saw it mentioned?

You could do your own ASCII code lookup by building a lookup table of the possible values and searching with the LOOKUPVALUE function.

Thursday, March 19, 2015 2:41 AM
  • I can't post the link here, but search from bing post titled 'List of PowerPivat DAX functions with descriptions' 
    Thursday, March 19, 2015 3:20 AM
  • Found the page, but they must be mistaken. That is the only place I see the CODE() function referenced for DAX.
    Thursday, March 19, 2015 7:39 PM
  • Found the page, but they must be mistaken. That is the only place I see the CODE() function referenced for DAX.

Meaning that you found it on that page. And what, it doesn't work in the UI?

Thanks!

Ed Price, Azure & Power BI Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Thursday, April 2, 2015 6:00 PM
  • Meaning CODE() is not a DAX function, currently.

It was listed on a third-party site, but not on any Microsoft sites (or help) so the third party site must be mistaken. Perhaps they listed CODE() since it is an Excel function, and they assumed it would be supported in DAX as well.  The site was powerpivot - info . com

• Edited by Greg Gilman Tuesday, April 7, 2015 4:52 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Michael Amadi Friday, April 17, 2015 7:27 PM
    • Marked as answer by Michael Amadi Thursday, April 30, 2015 6:02 PM
    Tuesday, April 7, 2015 4:47 PM
  • Really?
    Thursday, April 6, 2017 3:58 PM