do not use a template

.net framework 2.0

access control user interface

active directory providers

application user experience

audio and video foundation

audio and video user interface

cleartype tuner

com  distributed transaction coordinator (dtc)

device foundation

diagnostics platform

directplay

directwrite support

directx diagnostics

english language pack

file and folder synchonization

homegroup

html display engine

metro style application foundation

multimedia foundation

network time service

opengl

power management

remote assistances

set windows shell as shell

shell accessories

volume shadow copy service

windows desktop background (wallpapers)

windows installer

windows media player 12

windows media player network sharing service

windows search

windows shell

windows shell content

windows shell foundation

windows shell sound themes

windows shell themes

xps support

resolve dependencies

-the external cdrom drivers does not install

-no sound hdmi

-ati control center does not launch

-i can launch and play crysis wars but i get no sound

-dont have acces to device management

-no xbox 360 controller support

-no safe remove usb devices

i just want to install a minimum metro shell for offline gaming. compatible with pc games for windows. any suggestion for components that i need?

Saturday, March 17, 2012 6:32 AM

Answers

• Hi betaiso,<o:p></o:p>

This is great feedback as it gives us insight into the functionality that is most important to you. We're doing quite a bit of work on resolving the correct modules to support functionality for the next preview release and want to get that to you as soon as we can but it is still a little way off.<o:p></o:p>

In the meantime all feedback about what functionality is most important to you and why really helps in prioritising the work we still have.<o:p></o:p>

Thanks

Dave Massy, Program Manager

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 3:59 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi betaiso, that's a nice system you have there.

Each game would have different dependencies on windows, so the runtime requirements to support all games is a challenging task. An embedded device is typically a fixed function device, so in the case of arcade gaming machines, they may host one or very few games and that is all. This makes it easier to develop a single runtime to support the games because the developer of the device would have a limited scope of game dependencies to deal with.

If the goal is to support any game, then you'd either need to add most of the feature modules, or you may also be better off using full Windows Client because then you do not need to worry about the dependencies.

Good luck.

Andy

- Embedded team blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/embedded

Monday, March 19, 2012 7:06 PM
  • the goal was to make a system like windows xp home with directx 11 with minimum services.

i have used a program called nlite to minimize xp to 100mb iso. with 5 services running

i have also used a program called vlite to minimize vista basic to 500mb iso.

with only these services

windows audio endpoint builder
    windows audio
    group policy client
    multimedia class scheduler
    windows install
    shell hardware detection
    windows modules installer
    virtual disk
    windows management instrumentation

i cant install directx 11 unless i also check windows update but these are offline systems.

i can run crysis and directx accelerated games with these settings.

windows embedded can host like a server? like streaming video?

would i be better off just with the consumer preview. it just seem like less resource would provide more speed in the case of nlite xp.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 1:43 AM
  • OK, i see now. Are you using the toolkit as a hobbyist and not an OEM device maker? If so, I think you will have a better experience installing the Windows 8 consumer preview so you can focus on the games and the integration work for those games on the new OS. While you are correct the embedded toolkit provides you the ability to create a runtime with fewer services to help the system performance, the learning curve and componentization effort required to understand the games dependencies may not be the best use of your time :-)

Good luck.

Andy

- Embedded team blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/embedded

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 4:33 PM
  • i am using the the toolkit as a hobbyist.

for windows embedded standard  7 this works for ati control center and directx games

.net framework 2.0

.net framework 2.0 client profile

.net framework 3.0 client profile

.net framework 3.5 client profile

application user experience

audio and video engines and media foundation

bitmap fonts

com ole application support

com+ application support

common diagnostic tools

core file system

device framework

device user experience

directx and windows device experience

driver frameworks

english (us) language pack

graphics platform

help and support engine

internet explorer 8 browser

internet explorer 8 engine and display

internet explorer 8 foundation

microsoft management console (mmc)

power management

search indexing

shell controls and ui support functions

shell foundation

standard windows usb stack

system control panel

system management administrative tools

truetype fonts

western fonts

win32 application runtimes and libraries

windows boot environment

windows data access components

windows embedded standard startup screens

windows explorer shell

windows installer

the i press the resolve dependencies

these are the bare minimum for the ati control center. if i dont install the control center and just install ati drivers then i can remove everthing in the list and just install:

the reason why i attempted to install w8 ctp was because it worked for wes7. i tried to use the same components but some things changed. these same components will work for me, if you know the names for these components for windows embedded standard 8. so i would just like to choose this list of components but need the correct names. the estimated os footprint stays at 0 so i dont know what dependencies are being resolved. i would just use xp but the new amd fx has compatibility issues with x86.executables. if you can provide the list above in windows embedded standard 8 form that would be great but if you cant then this will be the last contact about this question.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 5:23 PM
  • hi, i would like a templete such as the windows embedded standard 7 "thin client templet". the windows 8 thin client does not install the same type of components as standard 7. i am missing cdrom drivers "only the hard drive shows". i am also missing iso mount.

so thes are samples of templets i would like

metro interface templet

dot net 2,3.3.5 templet

directx templet

internet explorer templet

windows media player templet

hdmi audio templet, i get no audio or audio interface (for ati 6970 gpu) needs dot net 3.5 for ati control panel, but just checking donet components does not work.

pci express templet, i cant install gpu drivers

windows embedded 8 does not resolve the components, i am getting 0 hard drive space used.

i have a amd fx 6100 so the earlier windows system does not support that cpu.

i am using the window shell custom module by Dave Massy - MS Microsoft (MSFT)

if you have any templets samples that would be great.

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 10:16 PM
  • Hi betaiso,<o:p></o:p>

This is great feedback as it gives us insight into the functionality that is most important to you. We're doing quite a bit of work on resolving the correct modules to support functionality for the next preview release and want to get that to you as soon as we can but it is still a little way off.<o:p></o:p>

In the meantime all feedback about what functionality is most important to you and why really helps in prioritising the work we still have.<o:p></o:p>

Thanks

Dave Massy, Program Manager

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 3:59 PM
    Answerer