Metro Apps are automatically opening store

Question

• I am having problems opening any of the metro apps. Every app (weather, twitter, anything) opens up the store instead, but since the store is down, after store is loaded up, it says it's not available in the dev preview. I had the weather working randomly for the first hour of installation, but hasn't worked since. Does anybody know what's up with this problem?

Friday, December 9, 2011 12:13 AM

Answers

• Hello AndrewStoker,

I would suggest you take a look that your hardware and Screen Resolution meets the required minimums at: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516.aspx, if they do and if you have had all your updates, try to Refresh your system by going to the Control Panel-General-Refresh option. Hope it helps.

Irfan
    Friday, December 9, 2011 3:00 AM
  • Hello AndreStoker,

I have seen issues when all Metro Apps open to the Store, there is a problem with the user account becoming corrupt.
    I would create a new account either Local or Windows Live ID account and try again to see if the Metro apps will open correctly.

Or you could do a refresh of your system.

When you refresh your PC, your files and personalization settings won't change.

Your PC settings will be restored to their defaults.

Apps from Windows Store will be kept. All other apps will be removed.

Follow the steps below to restore your PC:

Enter the Start screen

Click Control Panel

Click General on the left column

Under the Refresh your PC without affecting your files, click Get started

Then follow the instructions that will be displayed on the screen.

Once the refresh has finished, test to see if the Metro apps open correctly.

Let us know if this helps.

Marilyn
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 8:34 PM

All replies

• That is 100% normal crap from M$.... Weather might work for several days, then suddenly is stops... more crap, then suddenly it starts working again.

M$ loves to play games.... seems to me another reason that Windows 8 will FAIL... too much BS with yes then no then maybe.

Friday, December 9, 2011 12:40 AM
  • Hello AndrewStoker,

I would suggest you take a look that your hardware and Screen Resolution meets the required minimums at: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516.aspx, if they do and if you have had all your updates, try to Refresh your system by going to the Control Panel-General-Refresh option. Hope it helps.

Irfan
    Friday, December 9, 2011 3:00 AM
  • Have you disabled UAC? In this case Metro apps no longer work.
    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Friday, December 9, 2011 9:27 PM
  • For Metro Apps to work, you need to have the following:
    1) Your screen resolution needs to be at least 1024x768 for Metro Apps to work.
    2) Next, if you have turned off User Account Control, your Metro apps will not work.
    You can check if UAC is enabled here: Control Panel > User Accounts > Change User Account Control Settings
    3) Try using a Local account instead of a Windows Live ID account.

If Metro Apps are still not working your other option would be to Refresh your PC.

Enter the Start screen
    Click Control Panel

Once the refresh has finished, test to see if the Metro Apps are now working.

Marilyn
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 1:34 AM
  • Hello AndreStoker,

I have seen issues when all Metro Apps open to the Store, there is a problem with the user account becoming corrupt.
    I would create a new account either Local or Windows Live ID account and try again to see if the Metro apps will open correctly.

Or you could do a refresh of your system.

Enter the Start screen

Click Control Panel

Once the refresh has finished, test to see if the Metro apps open correctly.

Let us know if this helps.

Marilyn
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 8:34 PM