none
Measuring body parts using kinect C# programming RRS feed

• Question

• Can any one help me to C# code for measuring human body parts with kinect joints or with depth image stream or any other way to measuring it.I am complete new for Kinect programming.Help would be appreciated.
    Friday, August 28, 2015 12:28 PM

Answers

• Hi Jitendra,

As mentioned by Jan, using the joint locations for measuring the body does not give the most accurate approximation of the body's size.  I would recommend using a combination of the Body and the BodyIndex frames to get a closer approximation for the player's size.

By correlating the body index with the joints, you can account for the noted difference between the head joint's location (the center of the head) and the top of the head.

Some things to be aware of...

This technique will work best when the player can be fully seen (head to foot) by the Kinect sensor and there are no occlusions or large objects near the player.

Any measurements taken of the player will be approximations.  Environmental considerations such as clothing, object proximity, and the like may impact the results.

Hope this helps,

David

Thursday, September 3, 2015 5:12 PM

All replies

• Joints in Body object have their position coordinates expressed in meters. Cartesian coordinate system origin is the Kinect sensor. To measure a body part length you can calculate a distance between the two joints (look up "distance in 3d"). This does not work very good for measurement of height because JointType.Head is somewhere in the middle of head (e.g. distance between joint position of JointType.Head and JointType.FootRight is ~1.65 for a 1.77 m high person).
    Thursday, September 3, 2015 7:41 AM
  • Hi Jitendra,

As mentioned by Jan, using the joint locations for measuring the body does not give the most accurate approximation of the body's size.  I would recommend using a combination of the Body and the BodyIndex frames to get a closer approximation for the player's size.

By correlating the body index with the joints, you can account for the noted difference between the head joint's location (the center of the head) and the top of the head.

Some things to be aware of...

This technique will work best when the player can be fully seen (head to foot) by the Kinect sensor and there are no occlusions or large objects near the player.

Any measurements taken of the player will be approximations.  Environmental considerations such as clothing, object proximity, and the like may impact the results.

Hope this helps,

David

Thursday, September 3, 2015 5:12 PM