Problems building using December CTP RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Ive been happily using August CTP (been too busy to upgrade!) with no problems, I tried December CTP but have problems with documenting several assemblies because they result in a command that must breach the 260 characters path limit, but I dont get this issue with the August CTP.

I'm not too familiar with exactly what happens during the whole documenting process yet but I'm including a snippet from the log file from both CTPs in the hope that someone might spot something which may help me out.

From August CTP doc build (works fine):

Info: Building topic P:Exchange.EnterpriseLibrary.Caching.Configuration.CustomCacheStorageData.Properties
    Info: Building topic M:Exchange.EnterpriseLibrary.Caching.Configuration.CustomCacheStorageData.Reset(System.Configuration.ConfigurationElement)
    Info: Building topic M:Exchange.EnterpriseLibrary.Caching.Configuration.CustomCacheStorageData.SetAttributeValue(System.String,System.String)
    Info: Building topic M:Exchange.EnterpriseLibrary.Caching.Configuration.CustomCacheStorageData.Unmerge(System.Configuration.ConfigurationElement,System.Configuration.ConfigurationElement,System.Configuration.ConfigurationSaveMode)

The same section when I use Dec CTP:

Info: BuildAssembler: Building topic T:Exchange.EnterpriseLibrary.Caching.Configuration.CustomCacheStorageData
    Info: BuildAssembler: Building topic Overload:Exchange.EnterpriseLibrary.Caching.Configuration.CustomCacheStorageData.#ctor
    Info: BuildAssembler: Building topic M:Exchange.EnterpriseLibrary.Caching.Configuration.CustomCacheStorageData.#ctor
    Info: BuildAssembler: Building topic M:Exchange.EnterpriseLibrary.Caching.Configuration.CustomCacheStorageData.#ctor(System.String,System.Type)
    Info: BuildAssembler: Building topic P:Exchange.EnterpriseLibrary.Caching.Configuration.CustomCacheStorageData.Attributes
    Info: BuildAssembler: Building topic M:Exchange.EnterpriseLibrary.Caching.Configuration.CustomCacheStorageData.Exchange#EnterpriseLibrary#Common#Configuration#IHelperAssistedCustomConfigurationData{Exchange#EnterpriseLibrary#Caching#Configuration#CustomCacheStorageData}#BaseGetPropertyValue(System.Configuration.ConfigurationProperty)

Unhandled Exception: System.IO.PathTooLongException: The specified path, file name, or both are too long. The fully qualified file name must be less than 260 characters, and the directory name must be less than 248 characters.

As you can see, the bit in red is more than 260 characters hence the error, there is no path information here so I cant truncate it in any way by reducing the path on disk.

I would also like to be able to try the November CTP to see if I get the same issue, but I cant find a link to previous CTP's anywhere, can anyone provide me with this also ?

Wednesday, December 20, 2006 10:16 AM

Answers

• Are you using the new naming method option/transform to use the friendly names rather than the GUID names for the help topic files?  If so, that could cause the problem.  If you could post the full stack trace from the error, it would help identify the component in question.  If it is the naming method that's the issue and you are using the help file builder, it contains an extra naming method option (HashedMemberName) that can give you the benefits of a reproducable topic name but without the length restrictions.

Eric

Wednesday, December 20, 2006 5:50 PM

All replies

• Are you using the new naming method option/transform to use the friendly names rather than the GUID names for the help topic files?  If so, that could cause the problem.  If you could post the full stack trace from the error, it would help identify the component in question.  If it is the naming method that's the issue and you are using the help file builder, it contains an extra naming method option (HashedMemberName) that can give you the benefits of a reproducable topic name but without the length restrictions.

Eric

Wednesday, December 20, 2006 5:50 PM
  • Yes thats it! I turned off friendly naming and it worked thanks.

I'm using the MSBuild scripts here to run the documentation build:

http://ljusberg.se/blogs/smorakning/archive/2006/11/12/MSBuild-script-support-for-the-November-CTP.aspx

Here is the full stack for info:

Unhandled Exception: System.IO.PathTooLongException: The specified path, file name, or both are too long. The fully qualified file name must be less than 260 characters, and the directory name must be less than 248 characters.
           at System.IO.Path.NormalizePathFast(String path, Boolean fullCheck)
           at System.IO.Path.GetFullPathInternal(String path)
           at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
           at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)
           at System.Xml.XmlWriter.Create(String outputFileName, XmlWriterSettings settings)
           at Microsoft.Ddue.Tools.SaveComponent.Apply(XmlDocument document, String key)
           at Microsoft.Ddue.Tools.BuildAssembler.Apply(IEnumerable`1 manifest)
           at Microsoft.Ddue.Tools.BuildAssembler.Apply(String manifestFile)
           at Microsoft.Ddue.Tools.BuildAssemblerConsole.Main(String[] args)
        C:\Program Files\MSBuild\Sandcastle\Sandcastle.targets(108,5): error MSB3073: The command ""c:\Program Files\Sandcastle\ProductionTools\BuildAssembler" /config:sandcastle.config manifest.xml" exited with code -532459699.
    Done building target "BuildHTM" in project "Document-EntLib2.proj" -- FAILED.

thanks again!

Thursday, December 21, 2006 9:33 AM