CAB generation failed but is ok RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a Project CAB Smart Device that build a cab for my product. The CAB is builded correctly but Visual Studio always tell that the build failed!

Here is the warning I got in the CabWiz.log:

Warning: Section [RegKeys] has no data
    Warning: Section [DefaultInstall] key "AddReg" - there are no section entries to process

Any idea to fix the problem?

Thx

Monday, March 29, 2010 3:54 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Since it is just warning, it doesn't effect cab file and its installation on device. So just ignore them.

Why it has warning:

1.Warning: Section [RegKeys] has no data

Since there is no regsitry key in your cab file, if we set a registry key in it , the warning will dismiss. Just right click the project, View--Registry, add a registry key.

2. Warning: Section [DefaultInstall] key "AddReg" - there are no section entries to process

Since we don't set a setupdll in it, which act as default install. If you want to know what setupdll is, please refer to sample from SDK:
    C:\Program Files\Windows Mobile 6 SDK\Samples\Common\CPP\Win32\multicabinstall

Best regards,
    Guang-Ming Bian - MSFT

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help
    Friday, April 2, 2010 6:30 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please take a look this similar thread,

http://www.codewiz51.com/blog/post/2010/02/10/CabWiz-Errors.aspx#continue

which provide following way to solve it:

1. Check to see if a CAB file already exists in the output directory of the cabinet maker project.
    2. If a CAB file exists, check to see if it is read only.
    3. If it is read only, delete it or remove the read only attribute
    4. If that fails, make sure you have full permissions to the output directory where VS 2008 wants to place the CAB file.

If it still can't solve it, please let me know.

Best regards,
    Guang-Ming Bian - MSFT

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help
    Wednesday, March 31, 2010 10:51 AM
  • Thx for reply. The file wasn't read only but like I said, the CAB is created correctly even if Visual Studio said it has error so Visual Studio can write on the file. We would like to stop having build fail when it's not true!

Any other idea?

Thursday, April 1, 2010 5:48 PM
  • Hi,

Since it is just warning, it doesn't effect cab file and its installation on device. So just ignore them.

Why it has warning:

1.Warning: Section [RegKeys] has no data

Since there is no regsitry key in your cab file, if we set a registry key in it , the warning will dismiss. Just right click the project, View--Registry, add a registry key.

2. Warning: Section [DefaultInstall] key "AddReg" - there are no section entries to process

Since we don't set a setupdll in it, which act as default install. If you want to know what setupdll is, please refer to sample from SDK:
    C:\Program Files\Windows Mobile 6 SDK\Samples\Common\CPP\Win32\multicabinstall

Best regards,
    Guang-Ming Bian - MSFT

Friday, April 2, 2010 6:30 AM
  • Hi,

I added a dummy registry key and that solved all the warnings. Now I don't have any warnings but even if the CAB is ok, visual studio tell me that the build failed... Any idea what cause this?

Thx for your help.

Monday, April 5, 2010 12:36 PM