none
Direct pen input to Access 2016 fields RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to ink directly into an Access 2016 field?  I know we can use the pen input part of the on-screen keyboard, but we'd like to be able to have our users write directly into the field if possible. 

I've searched around a little, but most of the links I've found relating to this are for Vista and mobile  and end up being dead pages with no info or not being found. 

Thanks!

Monday, December 11, 2017 9:18 PM

Answers

• Hi essjae,

you can also try to check Ink Picture Control.

in which you can write like below.

then you can try to save the content in file or as an image.

below is the example to save content in file.

Private Sub Command4_Click()
    'CODE to SAVE InkPicture to FILE
    Dim objInk As MSINKAUTLib.InkPicture
    Dim bytArr() As Byte
    Dim File1 As String
    File1 = "C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\test.isf"
    Set objInk = Me.InkPicture3.Object
    If objInk.Ink.Strokes.Count > 0 Then
    bytArr = objInk.Ink.Save(2)
    Open File1 For Binary As #1
    Put #1, , bytArr
    Close #1
    End If
    End Sub

I try to find the object reference for VBA but it's not available.

I got the reference for C# and VB. so you can check it may give you some more information.

Using InkEdit, InkPicture, and Enhancing the Appearance of Ink

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Terry Xu - MSFT Wednesday, December 20, 2017 2:21 AM
    • Marked as answer by essjae Wednesday, December 20, 2017 4:55 PM
    Thursday, December 14, 2017 9:18 AM

All replies

• Hello essjae,

What do you mean writing directly into the field? How do you write data without keyboard?

Best Regards,

Terry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 7:07 AM
  • Using the pen, instead of writing in the onscreen keyboard box, we'd write into the field directly and hopefully have it converted to text. 

In other words, instead of using the onscreen keyboard at the bottom of the screen to ink, have the Access field entry box allow for ink entry and conversion to text.

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 5:51 PM
  • Hi,

Since Access does not have this capability built-in, you may have to sort to using an ActiveX control created for this purpose. The ones I am aware comes with a writing pen and pad, so not exactly writing on the screen but maybe there are other types available I just haven't run into.

Good luck with your search...

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 6:03 PM
  • Hi essjae,

you can also try to check Ink Picture Control.

in which you can write like below.

then you can try to save the content in file or as an image.

below is the example to save content in file.

Private Sub Command4_Click()
    'CODE to SAVE InkPicture to FILE
    Dim objInk As MSINKAUTLib.InkPicture
    Dim bytArr() As Byte
    Dim File1 As String
    File1 = "C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\test.isf"
    Set objInk = Me.InkPicture3.Object
    If objInk.Ink.Strokes.Count > 0 Then
    bytArr = objInk.Ink.Save(2)
    Open File1 For Binary As #1
    Put #1, , bytArr
    Close #1
    End If
    End Sub

I try to find the object reference for VBA but it's not available.

I got the reference for C# and VB. so you can check it may give you some more information.

Using InkEdit, InkPicture, and Enhancing the Appearance of Ink

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support

• Marked as answer by essjae Wednesday, December 20, 2017 4:55 PM
    Thursday, December 14, 2017 9:18 AM
  • Thanks, we'll see what we can code up.

Wednesday, December 20, 2017 4:56 PM
  • Hi,

Just in case you decide to go this route, I do have a demo for using the Ink Picture Control on my website.

Hope it helps...

Wednesday, December 20, 2017 5:06 PM