processing daily files in using ssis RRS feed

• Question

• How do we process files daily basis/monthly using ssis by extracting from one place and check the format and sent back formatted file to that place? Is there any standard design ? 
    Friday, February 1, 2013 12:09 AM

Answers

All replies

• I am a bit unsure what the exact requirements are.  There is most definitely the ability to process data on a routine schedule using SSIS  by creating a package and scheduling it in SQL Server agent.  The below post describes how to dynamcally process files, but if you can provide more information as to exactly what it is you are trying to do I am sure that someone can assist you.

http://sqlsafety.blogspot.com/2010/09/ssis-dynamic-connections.html

David Dye My Blog

• Marked as answer by john shaji Friday, February 1, 2013 6:26 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by john shaji Tuesday, February 5, 2013 2:41 PM
    Friday, February 1, 2013 12:54 AM
  • This is definitely possible with the SSIS, but the formatting part if you can elaborate more whether it is excel, I think you need to use script task to check what all checks you want to do on file.

Please mark it as helpful if it helps.

Thanks

Sumit

Friday, February 1, 2013 7:54 AM
  • It can be achieved. Need more information.

My Blog    |      Ask Me     |      SSIS Basics     

• Marked as answer by john shaji Tuesday, February 5, 2013 2:41 PM
    Friday, February 1, 2013 8:37 AM
  •  You can search how to process files through SSIS, it's not difficult to realize, the same to send it back to spcified place.

The key business is how to check file's format and format this file.

So the first thing you need to do is to investigate what's the format of most of files, if most of them have the same format or if we can process them by programming, then you can add a script component to process files and extract data from files then output them by a correct format.  Some files cannot be processed in this script component, then just throw an error in component and divert it into some place to do manually check and format.  

But for my understanding, the source files should have the same format if they're from the same system. If they have the same format and you want to change them to another format, you actually can process them in script component.

Please vote if it's helpful and mark it as an answer!

Friday, February 1, 2013 8:47 AM
  • process : extracting selected employee records from the daily UNIVERSITY employee file and formatting it for HR.( SOURCE : FLAT FILE), and finally load into tha Oracle database. fileformat is changing the column names from flat file and map it with given format i can use derived column for this.

above mentioned is the process i have understand. But my question is what does it mean if they gave me task like this "PROCESS UNIVERSITY DAILY EMPLOYEE FILE" FOR THE ABOVE PROCESS

what should i think regarding "Process unniversity daily employee file" / "process university monthly file" ?

sorry again if i'm not clear.

thanks for letting me know the concept, please help me on this.

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 1:36 PM