How to broadcast caputred audio and/or video in a app

Question

• I am developing a app in html5 and want to be able to let the user be able to talk to someone through the app. This will at least require the person to be able to speak through the app using the built in microphone on their device but if I can use the webcam that would be great as well. Then the app would stream this captured audio and/or video out so someone on the other end can see/hear it. It will eventually be bi-directional communication but if I can send the audio/video first that would be a start.
    Friday, December 6, 2013 2:42 PM

Answers

• I'm not familiar with it, but you might look at the MediaSourceobject, which is part the Media Stream Extensions (MSE) standard designed for things like live streaming.

The WebRTC draft you are using in chrome is not supported in IE or Windows Store apps.

--Rob

Saturday, December 7, 2013 1:14 AM
    Owner

All replies

• This scenario is demonstrated in the real time communication sample
    Friday, December 6, 2013 2:53 PM
    Owner
  • Thank you for your response. I read the communication sample and it looks like it depends on a C++ program to do the actual heavy lifting. I would like to avoid this as it would be more ideal to be able to do it in HTML5 as much as possible. I have been looking for a solution to my problem with just a HTML5 webpage. My theory is that if I could get it to work in a HMTL 5 webpage on IE 10 or 11 then it should have a good chance of working in a WINJs app. I have gotten close to a solution using Google chrome via the 
    navigator.getUserMedia
     but this does not work in IE 11. I am open to the possibility of having the app just stream the audio/video out to a server and let the server handle the broadcasting to the other nodes but I am really trying to avoid more programming languages other than HTML5/WINJs if I can.
    Friday, December 6, 2013 8:40 PM
  • I'm not familiar with it, but you might look at the MediaSourceobject, which is part the Media Stream Extensions (MSE) standard designed for things like live streaming.

The WebRTC draft you are using in chrome is not supported in IE or Windows Store apps.

--Rob

Saturday, December 7, 2013 1:14 AM
    Owner