New install DPM 2012 r2 UR6 - Unable to backup DPMDB by running dpmdb.exe -db RRS feed

• Question

• Just stood up a new Windows Server 2012 r2 with a new DPM 2012 r2 install on a local SQL 2012 DB. The requirement I have is to move the DPMDB to a remote SQL 2014 server. In order to do this, I am required to

1) backup the DPMDB from local SQL server - run DPMDB.exe -db from \Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin

2) copy the backed up file to the remote server

3) sync DPMDB to the backed up copy - DpmSync –restoredb –dbloc <DPMDB location>

When I try to backup the existing DB using DPMDB.exe -db, I get 

C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012 R2\DPM\DPM\bin>DpmBackup.exe-db
    'DpmBackup.exe -db' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.

followed by

Error: Invalid command -db.

I have tried giving it a couple other switches like -sqlServerName and/or -instanceName but get the same result

What am I missing?

Thanks

Thursday, May 21, 2015 12:57 AM

Answers

• I read another post with someone having the exact same issue. The fix was to run it with additional switches. What worked for me was:

dpmbackup.exe -db -sqlServerName <hostname> -instanceName MSDPM2012 -dpmdbname DPMDB

Thursday, May 21, 2015 1:33 PM

All replies

• Please bear in mind that I am NOT using a default instance. Some material I found online points to a broken dmbackup.exe as of UR3 but this shouldn't apply here since after my DPM install, I went straight to UR6.
    Thursday, May 21, 2015 3:47 AM
  • Please verify the path and filenames.

Regards, Pradyothana DP. Please Mark This As Helpful if it helps to solve your issue. ========================================================== https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Profile/pradyothanadp http://www.dbainhouse.blogspot.in/

Thursday, May 21, 2015 3:56 AM
  • Even though the documentations says "\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin", my default install points to "C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012 R2\DPM\DPM\bin on server 2012 r2". There is no other DPM folders.
    Thursday, May 21, 2015 1:11 PM
  • I read another post with someone having the exact same issue. The fix was to run it with additional switches. What worked for me was:

dpmbackup.exe -db -sqlServerName <hostname> -instanceName MSDPM2012 -dpmdbname DPMDB

Thursday, May 21, 2015 1:33 PM
  • This worked for me, thanks!
    Tuesday, January 31, 2017 10:37 AM