SQL Server VSS writer error RRS feed

• Question

• Hi I am trying to configure Biztalk 2009 Dev Edition on Win 2003 Sp2 with SQL Server 2005 Ent ed. with SP4

I am not able to configure biztalk because it says that SQL server 2005 SP 2 is not installed. I am able to configure SSO but i am getting the error when configuring GROUP.

I ran the SP4 file and it detected foll. (I checked SQL VSS writer service and its not truning on)

Need help on how to correct this issue so i can configure biztalk sucessfully.

Time: 04/18/2011 02:14:19.816
    KB Number: KB2463332
    Machine: SVR2003A
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows Server 2003 family, Enterprise Edition Service Pack 2 (Build 3790)
    Package Language: 1033 (ENU)
    Package Platform: x86
    Package SP Level: 4
    Package Version: 5000
    Command-line parameters specified:
    Cluster Installation: No

**********************************************************************************
    Prerequisites Check & Status
    SQLSupport: Passed

**********************************************************************************
    Products Detected                         Language  Level  Patch Level       Platform  Edition
    Setup Support Files                       ENU                     9.4.5000  x86      
    Database Services (MSSQLSERVER)           ENU       RTM    2005.090.1399.00  x86       ENTERPRISE
    Analysis Services (MSSQLSERVER)           ENU       SP4    2005.090.5000.00  x86       ENTERPRISE
    Notification Services                     ENU       SP4       9.00.5000.00  x86       ENTERPRISE
    Integration Services                      ENU       SP4       9.00.5000.00  x86       ENTERPRISE
    SQL Server Native Client                  ENU                 9.00.5000.00  x86      
    Client Components                         ENU       SP4           9.4.5000  x86       ENTERPRISE
    SQLXML4                                   ENU                 10.0.1600.60  x86      
    Backward Compatibility                    ENU                    8.05.2312  x86      
    Microsoft SQL Server VSS Writer           ENU                 9.00.5000.00  x86      

Products Disqualified & Reason
    Product                                   Reason

Processes Locking Files
    Process Name          Feature               Type          User Name                  PID

Product Installation Status
    Product                   : Setup Support Files
    Product Version (Previous): 5000
    Product Version (Final)   :
    Status                    : Not Selected
    Log File                  :
    Error Description         :
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Product                   : Database Services (MSSQLSERVER)
    Product Version (Previous): 1399
    Status                    : Failure
    Log File                  : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Hotfix\SQL9_Hotfix_KB2463332_sqlrun_sql.msp.log
    Error Number              : 1920
    Error Description         : MSP Error: 1920  Service 'SQL Server VSS Writer' (SQLWriter) failed to start.  Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Product                   : Analysis Services (MSSQLSERVER)
    Error Number              : 0
    Product                   : Notification Services
    Product                   : Integration Services
    Product                   : SQL Server Native Client
    Product                   : Client Components
    Product                   : SQLXML4
    Product Version (Previous): 1600
    Product Version (Final)   : 5000
    Status                    : Success
    Log File                  : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Hotfix\Redist9_Hotfix_KB2463332_sqlxml4.msi.log
    Error Number              : 0
    Product                   : Backward Compatibility
    Product Version (Previous): 2312
    Product                   : Microsoft SQL Server VSS Writer

Summary
         One or more products failed to install, see above for details
         Exit Code Returned: 1920

Monday, April 18, 2011 3:48 PM

Answers

• No, and it's not good.  This is a development machine right?  Can you uninstall all of SQL Server and reinstall it.  This seems to be a specific VSS issue and sounds like it is due to a hotfix or another version of VSS being on the machine (hence the side by side).  I think you should refer this to the SQL forums because it is SQL specific and they are much more likely to have seen it before. 

That said if you really want to know what's missing you might be able to use the Fusion Log viewer or FileMon to see what's missing.  This will take longer and wont fix the problem, but could tell you which file is missing. 

Kind Regards,

-Dan

If this answers your question, please Mark as Answer
    Monday, April 18, 2011 6:01 PM

All replies

• Is the SQL Server service able to start and run on its own?

-Dan

Monday, April 18, 2011 4:03 PM
  • Yes all the sql services are running except sql vss writer.

I tried uninstalling VSS writer and install again using the sqlwriter in the SP4. But still it does not work.

Do we have to register the service again? I am not sure what to do.

Thanks

Monday, April 18, 2011 4:09 PM
  • It sounds like you'll get more answers on that from the SQL Forums.  That said there should be other messages in the event log when trying to start the service to see why it is failing.  Some could even be in the security log.  Is the user set to run as Network Service or a specific user?

Kind Regards,

-Dan

Monday, April 18, 2011 4:34 PM
  • I tried running SQL VSS writer service and checked my system log. Following are four event logs,

1. Event Type: Error
    Event Source: SideBySide
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 32
    Date:  4/18/2011
    Time:  11:44:29 AM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: SVR2003A
    Description:
    Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.CRT could not be found and Last Error was The referenced assembly is not installed on your system.

2. Event Type: Error
    Event ID: 59
    Description:
    Resolve Partial Assembly failed for Microsoft.VC80.CRT. Reference error message: The referenced assembly is not installed on your system.

3. Event Type: Error
    Event ID: 59
    Description:
    Generate Activation Context failed for C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Shared\sqlwriter.exe. Reference error message: The referenced assembly is not installed on your system.

4. Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Service Control Manager
    Event ID: 7000
    Description:
    The SQL Server VSS Writer service failed to start due to the following error:
    This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Would this help

Monday, April 18, 2011 4:48 PM
  • OK, yea, you have a side-by-side issue which could be the result of the SP.  Can you repair or remove and install vss writer?

-Dan

Monday, April 18, 2011 4:52 PM
  • I have uninstalled SQL VSS writer via control panel. I restarted the machine.

I see SQL VSS writer service in the SERVICES list. Is it normal?

Rick

Monday, April 18, 2011 5:19 PM
  • No, and it's not good.  This is a development machine right?  Can you uninstall all of SQL Server and reinstall it.  This seems to be a specific VSS issue and sounds like it is due to a hotfix or another version of VSS being on the machine (hence the side by side).  I think you should refer this to the SQL forums because it is SQL specific and they are much more likely to have seen it before. 

That said if you really want to know what's missing you might be able to use the Fusion Log viewer or FileMon to see what's missing.  This will take longer and wont fix the problem, but could tell you which file is missing. 

Kind Regards,

-Dan

Monday, April 18, 2011 6:01 PM